Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

07 Spring Turkey

Pat Patten

Monday April 23rd 2007

After three days of hunting a familiar area, I finally heard my first gobble shortly after daylight. I worked on this gobbler until 11:00 a.m., however; I was never able to get him to come into my decoy set up. Due to another commitment I wouldn't be able to hunt again until later that afternoon. So I gave up and went home for lunch.
grin.gif

I went back out again around 4:00 p.m. to the same area that I hunted in the a.m. After getting set up I called a few times. I was somewhat surprised when I heard a distant gobble. I made a series of calls every now and then and the gobbler would respond. He was getting closer, much closer, real close.

I put in my mouth call and clucked a few times. Then I heard what I thought was a squirrel digging around in the leaves behind me. Suddenly I heard the spitting & drumming and I knew he was close.

I caught some movement out of my peripheral vision to my left. The gobbler was to my left and behind me at a distance of 15 yards, in full strut looking at my decoy. When he turned away from me still fanned out I raised my gun and waited. Then he turned back around still in full strut………..I took him in the head at 5:45 p.m.

I am starting to like this afternoon turkey hunting!
smirk.gif

5078patsturkey.jpg

yae I guess it is nice when one wants to give up so easy.This was 1 of the most exciting hunts I have had in some time . Stats was 64.375 score

I like the afternoon hunts also because they don't require the alarm clock going off at 4am. Nice bird!

Top Bottom