Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 down 1 to go!

jjohnson

I'll try to make this short. This morning I setup a little too close to the roost and the birds just didn't know what to do once it got light enough to see my decoys. Turns out there were 5 jakes and 3 toms. The jakes put on quite the show gobbling and strutting for my dekes but the toms were a little more hesitant and stayed in the timber 20yds skirting my setup and expressing their discomfort. I just couldn't pull them out of the timber. Eventually they got bored and worked off.

I made the decisioin to pull out and head to another farm. Walking in to where I wanted to setup I noticed a fan in the neighbors bean field. I hit the deck and moved on and got setup where I figured I could pull this bird in. After setting up I just had to take a peek. About 300 yds out there were 4 strutters putting on a show for a lone hen. I made a few yelps and it didn't seem to phase them. I figured I'd wait them out for the rest of the morning. I got comfy in the blind and made a few calls here and there for then next hour or so. About 10 o'clock I picked up the slate and made a few more yelps. I just settled back in and there he was standing at 30 yds putting at my dekes. He was pretty hesitant to come but some soft purring kept him at ease.

He finally had enough and so I quick drew the bow back and settled the pin. A few flops of the wings and he was done. He's no big bird by any means but I'm pumped to have one on the ground. Now I can get back after some of the big boys that keep eluding me. :way:

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Elite Judge! I think... :way:

Right on the money. And she's a better shooter than I am. Got plenty on the shelf if anybody wants to shoot one. :drink2:

You know I looked at those trees all morning and somehow forgot to check them. Need some rain and the shroom'n would be hot and heavy...

Last edited:
nice work!! I'll bet there was 1000's of shrooms you forgot about.... :grin:

:way:

Nice Job justin, you're doing better than me

It's been real tough Chip. Mainly a fluke I killed that bird but I will take it. Wait a week or so and I bet it's on then. 4th season should be real good. Plenty of birds to kill if they would just cooperate.:way:

Top Bottom