Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

10-24-08

StixNstrings

Beings I have to work almost all weekend I snuck out for an afternoon hunt Friday, it had finally quit raining the sun was out though it was a bit windy I figured Id give it a shot and sit in the tree for a while, with all the rain weve had the road if you want to call it that i use to access my stand was impassible so I parked on the gravel road and walked the edge of the corn to the farm access road. that wasnt a good idea I shouldve been wearing knee high waders at least there was 4-6" of standing water in the west end of the cornfield so I had to cut in about 15 rows needless to say it was less than a stealthy approach but with all the crashing and cursing when Id pull my feet out of the soft spots "thankful each time to still have a boot on them" I finally got to the access road while it was muddy was still a far cry easier walking than the cornfield as I approached the fenceline I turn off the road to walk down to my stand I noticed some fresh scrapes right on the dirt road the last of which is a mere 15 yds from my ladder so that got pretty psyched. after I got settled into my stand I noticed a very nice buck standing on the levee about 200 yds west of me he stood there just as still and proud as a statue, in fact he stood there like that so long I was beginning to think there was another hunter in there with a very realistic looking decoy but after a few minute he meandered down into the cottonwood stands and never showed himself again after that I seen a few more deer but none within range and none near as impressive as the one on the dike all together i seen 8 does and 4 bucks most of them playing cat and mouse and frolicking in the dried marsh i cant wait for next weekend to see how things progress.
Pott_r_bottoms.JPG

If the corn gets picked before the ruts over Ill kill a big deer out of that treestand if not well theres other trees and other deer Im versatile and so are the the critters. I have a another treestand on a creek down south the creeks been dammed off into 3 ponds it runs west to east through a "picked" cornfield Ive seen lots of nice deer on that property and theres been rumor of a total monster approaching the 200" class being spotted a couple of times down on the county road 1 mile so. of there from the descriptions Ive been getting I think its the deer the locals refer to as the chandelier buck that would be awesome to score an animal like that with some sticks and strings. Its just that land over in the river bottoms looks so good and its so close to my house Ive been hunting it when I can.
dry_slough.JPG
mineo_stnd.JPG

Top Bottom