Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

100 VS 125 Grain Broadheads???? Minor difference or fairly important?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, in my quest for more KE, etc - there's some broadheads out there I simply like better, some are 100 grain I like better and some are 125 grain. So, what differences will it make if I decide to go with 1 or the other? I mean, I realize the 125 will be heavier and dip down at longer shots BUT.....

Will it potentially change what arrow I need to pick?

Will it be "substantial" or am I splitting hairs overall? I don't think big difference in speed, looks like 6 fps slower when I run in calculator but maybe I'm wrong. I mean, would it make a "decent" advancement for KE & penetration going with 125 grain? (I did run through calculator but want your opinions). Is this a big decision or minor and what's your thoughts when you've looked at 100 or 125 grain heads? I will likely never shoot past 35 yards. Most shots closer, by far, overwhelmingly. But, i sure don't want to give up speed or trajectory for "no good reason". Would you go with 100 or 125 or what would go into your thought process with both examples? So, your thoughts & opinions are great, any help appreciated!!

If you are shooting inside 40yds I don't think you will see much if any difference in trajcetory. I have shot the same head in 100gr and 125 grain out to 40yds out of my Elite and see less than 1" of difference in drop.

Kratz

Trajectory wise it is a very minimal if you are shooting 100's right now and screwed 125's on out to 35 yards i doubt you would even have to move your sight more than 1/16th of an inch.
Where things may change is the spine of your arrow. If you are on the verge of having an under spined arrow and you add 25 grains on the end of it, things may change.
Whats your draw lenght and how many pounds are you pulling?
Also what arrows are you using and how long are they?
That will determine if you could get away with the extra weight

If you build an arrow with the correct spine to handle a 125g. head you will probably get better arrow flight from having more FOC (front of center) weight but I dont think it will have any noticeable effect on penetration. Yes arrow weight will help penetration but I dont think it matters much where the weight comes from as far as shaft weight or head weight. Im sure theres some kind of formula that would say it does matter but I doubt it would make the difference between 6-8" of penetration and a pass through or the difference between blowing through a bone or not. I think you would benefit more in the area of having better arrow flight from the increased FOC and being able to out the arrow where it needs to go then the area of penetration.... so it couldnt hurt.

I have 70 lbs. 29" draw. I believe my arrows are 28" but I'm going to get some different arrows.
Can you actually have "too heavy"? I know "too light" can cause issues and being under-spined could make you be un-tuned but having too much weight, that could be trouble? Say I picked the right arrow for my set up and added 25 grains, could that cause issues? I know if I was on the edge picking a light arrow and then reduced it by 25, I know that would be an issue but just didn't know about the flip side - adding weight. that could be a problem? THX!!!

I have 70 lbs. 29" draw. I believe my arrows are 28" but I'm going to get some different arrows.
Can you actually have "too heavy"? I know "too light" can cause issues and being under-spined could make you be un-tuned but having too much weight, that could be trouble? Say I picked the right arrow for my set up and added 25 grains, could that cause issues? I know if I was on the edge picking a light arrow and then reduced it by 25, I know that would be an issue but just didn't know about the flip side - adding weight. that could be a problem? THX!!!

If you are asking if you can hurt your bow, or its overall perfomance by adding 25g of arrow weight then no you cant all you would technically lose is arrow speed. But if you mean adding 25g just in tip weight from changing out a 100g head for a 125g head then it will change the harmonics of the arrow itself... could make it underspined and you could have poor arrow flight. The poor arrow flight MIGHT cause penetration issues on really close shots, say if the shaft itself hasnt yet stabilized and it still flopping around like a wet noodle.
Your best bet would be to get with someone who has an archery program or get one yourself like OnTarget or Archers Advantage and find an arrow shaft, shaft length and point weight that will put you where you want to be as far as arrow weight and still have the arrow be in the acceptable spine range so you will get the best performance out of it. These programs will have most of the bows and arrows on the market and let you match them up together for the best combination.
Heck for example my buddy that shoots the 106lbs Tribute shoots FMJ Dangerous Games with weight tubes and 125g. heads. He only NEEDS 530g arrows to be safe or not void a warranty but his arrow combo actually weighs 863g thats a 333g difference with no ill effects, his bow loves it but they are properly spined and set up perfectly for his bow... no problems whatsoever other than even at 106lbs it still lobs those tree trunk arrows, hes only shooting 250s or 260s FPS cant remember exactly. He did however get a complete pass through this year on his buck end to end front to back through the front of the right shoulder and out the rear of the left ham with a 125g 4-blade 2" cut mechanical... those beast broadeads tore that thing up.

Last edited:
Great info above Skip. Your draw and arrow length are leaning towards arrows that can be underspined if not careful. Especially with today's cams.

Consider adding a weighted insert instead, and then can shoot 100 grain and get a middle ground. If it were me, id shoot FMJ .340 cut to 29" (keep blades infront of hand), with 25 grain RPS Deep 6 inserts, and 100 grain slick trick or exodus fixed heads. Small diameter, the aluminum is incredible for not only penetration but pulling from 3d targets, and the weight will be about 485 grains finished arrow with a 8" wrap and 3 2" fletching. FOC will be 11% ish. Great combo of speed, quiet and penetration.

I shoot 27" FMJ with same setup with a 27" draw.

I read a study somewhere that said arrow weight and diameter have more to do with penetration than broadhead weight. Skinnier, heavy arrows get the nod for ke and overall penetration.

Top Bottom