Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11-01-03 "THE AUGGIE BUCK"

Ghost

Life Member
Good friend Augustus Adkins took this fine 8 pointer for his first buck bow harvest.
waytogo.gif

He should be on the site shortly to tell the story.....

Attachments

• 36277-jake2.jpg
    36277-jake2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 193
OK, heres the story.
Splitbrow and I sat up two new stands deep in the edge of the timber adjoining a neighbors picked corn field. After going back to get in the stands after changing clothes we get set up. I'm sitting in a corner of a crp field that leads into the corn. Splitty is set up on the end of a drawl about 70 yards NW of me. As he is raising his bow a four pointer pops over the hill in my sight and he stares down him and bolts the other way. I knew this was going to be a good afternoon. 30 minutes later I hear what sounded like a herd of cattle going through the timber heading toward Splitty. I can see tails running around Nate. I hear him realease and the tails start heading in every direction. I didnt see any blood on them so I figured he missed. 20 minutes later the farmer decides to check out his field, sees Nates truck and turns around. This causes all the deer in the field to haul it back into the timber to my right. Ten minutes later a big bodied deer crosses the field and heads straight towards Splitty. I could tell he had a nice rack but all I had was a side veiw. He continues straight at Nate and goes out of my sight and I hear crashing, I look up and hear is this buck coming right at me I figure he is hit by splitty so I thought I'd finish him I had the chance. I draw as he jumps the fence 20 yards from me and he locks up 3 yards from the base of my tree. I released and blew through his left side, an almost straight down shot. 15 minutes later Nate comes over and asks "Did you get him?" I said "Yeah, where did you hit him?"
"I didn't" he said. "I've got a doe over here that spined and he saw her and hauled a$$ right to you".
We give him 2 hours and start looking. there was good blood the first 30 yards and it turned to drops here and there. We tracked for few hours and it started pouring so we thought we lost any blood trail there was so we'd wait till daylight. He traveled about 40 yards and was balled up by a tree, he had been dead the whole time. I rolled him over to check the exit hole at the bottom of the stomach and a piece of lung the size if a fist had plugged up the hole- no wonder the drop, drop, drip.
High fives were exchanged and the celebration began, my first buck with a bow. Totally Awesome.
He's no monster but he will look great on my wall at home
beerchug.gif

The hunts with buddies/family always seem to be a little funner. Sounded like Ghost needed to quit the overtime and do some videoing for you guys.

The guiding fee bill is in the mail Auggie. I'd prefer cash.
evil.gif
Awesome job man, that's what hunting with friends is all about!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Nice job Auggie!!! Nice job on the picture too, that's one you can frame and put on the wall!!
CRITR

way to go Augge!! nothing quite like that first one is there?? also goes to show that a PSE can still kill a deer.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Top Bottom