Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11-12-13 Redemption buck

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
So after 4 years i finally got the deal done and shot my first archery buck! I shot my first doe last season. I have passed on multiple bucks that were 110 inches or smaller. Just felt like I wanted to wait for an older bigger buck so the past few years I have ate some tag sandwiches. Anyways for a story on my buck last tuesday i went out and hunted a new piece we have access to. It is on a pinch point between the thick bedding area and big timber and on the edge of 2 corn fields. The area i have the stand set there are multiple scrapes and rubs(most i have seen in one area). I have sat there multiple times this season well over 50 hrs and never saw a shooter while hunting. Had multiple 3 yr old or younger bucks but non i was willing to shoot. I would say that the buck to doe ratio in this area was atleast 5 to 1. I didnt see much chasing but had alot of bucks cruising and saw a couple fight 10 yds from my stand the night i first had a chance to shoot this buck. Last tuesday after those little bucks got done sparring i saw threw the timber some movement and saw the tall tine 8 that i had trail cam pics of and decided i was gonna shoot. I knew where he was gonna come out at where i would have only once chance at shooting him was at 41 yds. And i knew that i would have to stop him and he would be spooky so i put my single pin sight on 35 yds and when i stopped him i held right on bottom of chest and let the arrow fly and watched the lumenok go high after he jumped my string...I started a thread last week about it... i thought i had a clean miss and couldnt find my arrow after i got out of stand so went back out next morning and found it burried under some leaves and lumenok was shut if due to hitting branches on ground. I felt sick when i found the arrow it was full of fat and hair. so i started looking for a blood trail and never found any blood at all. I went home and felt like i had made a bad shot and i replayed the shot over and over in my mind trying to figure out wht i could have done different. I thought i could have done everything right to account for him jumping the string. Here is a pic of where i hit him last week.
picture.php

You can see it was a pass threw by the spine and when i looked at it closer you could see the spine and no meat or hide covering it. It missed the spine by less than and inch. I cant beleive how tought they are to survive that. He looked completely healthy last night and the wound was already starting to heal. Well anyways last night i got off work and made it to the stand at around 3 and at 4 i had a smaller 8 come by mt stand at 9 yds to my right but never had a clear shot even if i wanted to shoot. about 10 mins later i heard some sparring about 100 yds into the timber and not 5 mins after they stopped i saw this buck walking one of the ridges and was coming my way. i got my bow ready and thought he was gonna go to the same trail that i missed him at 41 yds instead he turned and was gonna walk right past my stand. so i moved my one pin sight to the lowest setting i have which is 20 yds and slowly stood up while he was behind some trees and i drew back to get ready for him. he stepped out in my shooting lane at 8 yds to the left of my stand and i stopped him and held a lil high because of the steep angle and squeezed the trigger and watched it go right threw him and i knew it was a double lung shot. I waited in the stand a half hr before i got out of my stand and went and pulled card out of camera he walked past and looked at arrow and saw it covered in blood and went back to my truck to get help before going to find him. After getting some help we went back in at dark and went to where my arrow was still at with the lumenok still glowing bright. After about a 100 yd blood trail we found him. There was alot of blood and was pretty easy to track. I shot him with the new Rage Hypodermic. I was so releived that we found him and when we walked up to him noticed the wound from last week and felt even better that i had got redemption on the buck that had jumped my string the week before. After all the hrs and hard work of 4 yrs i am very happy with this buck. I know there are bigger ones in the woods but im happy i finally closed the deal on a mature buck!!!
picture.php

Fool me once shame on me... Fool me twice shame on you!!! Thanks for looking and all the knowledge shaired over the past couple years.

That is a great story, and the relief knowing you did not lose the deer you thought you lost has to be awesome!!! Congrats!

Last edited:
Great story! That's cool at getting a second chance like that! Unbelievable how tough those deer are! Congrats

That is a great story, and the relief knowing you did not lose the deer you thought you lost has to be awesome!!! Congrats!

Agreed, great story and nicely done! Congrats!! :way:

I would make one friendly suggestion though, hit the "enter" or "return" key a few times in your writeup to make some paragraphs. It makes it much easier to read, as opposed to a solid block of text. Old guys like me need some spaces. :grin:

Top Bottom