Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11/15/14 score!

FormulaLT1Power

I've been out a lot for the last month, and seen a lot of deer. Lots of does, yearlings, button bucks and even a few smaller bucks that need to grow. On 11/6/2014 I had a really tall 8 or 10 come to my plot, but didn't stick around long. I actually was a full draw and milliseconds from releasing an arrow, but he took off. It made me sick, as he would have been a great deer to wrap my hands around...but I knew the best was yet to come!

Since I've been hunting a lot, I figured yesterday morning I would spend time with my kids and wife, and go out a little earlier than normal for an afternoon hunt. My goal was to be in the stand before the snow started. I was close...I got in the stand around 2:15pm, and the snow had just started falling...and I got cold FAST! Around 3:25pm I had a small 6 enter the pines behind me. He was in no hurry just simply walking through. He came out into the plot, crossed the ditch, and I decided I'd just play with him. I gave him a few grunts and got him back quickly...he actually walked under my stand and disappeared (I was never going to shoot him, just practicing tactics). At this point the excitement warmed me up a bit, so I'm sitting back down "cooling off" again. HAHA! Around 4:20 I see antlers (I could see how many, how big etc). I stand up...and I see a massive body to match. This buck looks like a shooter, but I really couldn't tell yet. He gets on the trail leading up a small hill towards my stand. I've got a tree marked off at 22 yards that just tops the small hill...he stands there very firm (head on so no shot). He looks to his left (my right)...I'm thinking if he goes that way I have no shot!! Instead he slowly starts walking towards me/quartering. He again stops at around 18 yards (almost same spot the deer on 11/6 was at)...so I told myself not to rush anything. I let him put his nose to the ground...and take a few more steps. Meanwhile, I've got my bow fully drawn, and aiming in on him. At 12 yards I "merrrrp", and he stops...I let an arrow fly! I have bright yellow wraps with bright yellow fletchings...and I see the arrow go in just behind the shoulder exactly how I want it! He jumps, and takes off...busting branches etc...and I hear a "crash"...I'm EXCITED...I just smoked the biggest deer in my history! I wait about 20 minutes...call my Dad tell him the story etc. I decide to climb down and go look for blood and my arrow. I spot my arrow easily...black shaft, bright yellow fletchings etc...and I see NO BLOOD ON THE ARROW....my heart sank. I pick up the arrow and notice about 1/4 of the arrow is broke off with the broad head...and at the end of the arrow there's blood. I decide to back out for a little while just to be safe, and not push it, just incase.

I grab my father-in-law and my son and we start our search...starting with the shot, then my arrow. My son and I walk the outside edge of the pines looking for any sign of blood, tracks, etc. My father in-law takes the middle of the pines doing the same. I get a little further away, and I hear my name and the command to come here. I get back to the shot area, and see a downed deer facing away from me. So I nock another arrow before walking up on him...needless to say, he was down for GOOD! I was SO HAPPY, and knew I had hammered him! Upon gutting him, it was perfect shot placement, and the broadhead (Muzzy 4 blade 100s) got wedged between two ribs...thus why not passthrough, broken arrow, etc. He ran maybe 20-30 yards and piled up in some brush/dead branches!

Here's a few pictures, and he's headed to the taxidermist today or tomorrow!!! He's a solid 5x4, good mass, long tines...any score ideas?

deer1_zps397482ae.jpg

deer_zpsb0404a1d.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom