Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11-87 cantilever slug gun?

Shedhuntermd

PMA Member
11-87 cantilever slug gun?
Hey folks! I had a question for you. I recently bought a cantilever rifled slug barrel topped with a Leupold scope. I first shot 3 boxes of Partition Gold $45:00 they shot a 9" group at 50 yards, that sucks, so I bought 4 boxes of Winchester Platinum’s $40:00 they shot a 5 1/2 group at 50 yards, that’s a little better, but not good enough.
Do any of you that own a 11-87 rifled barrel and found slugs that this barrel likes or loves I would love to hear it, this is getting expensive thanks.
grin.gif

Ryan

Start with the cheapest sabot you can find. You're shooting a shotgun, probably at a target within 100yds, not an antelope at 320yds. The most effective slug that you can buy is the one that hits exactly where you're aiming when shot out of your gun. 1 inch of drop or 2.5 inches of drop still makes a dead deer if you hit where you're aiming.

You're obviously on paper, so 3 GOOD shots from a solid rest should give you a workable group. Clean the gun and move on to the next brand. Again 3 shots to group if you take your time, this with the cleaning will help your groups as you'll be less inclined to start flinching after the beating you take. The winner leaves you 2 slugs which is all you should need. 1 either sex, 1 antlerless.

It cost me about 50 bucks last year, I bought one box of everything on the shelf. After I found out the partition golds(most expensive of the bunch) put together the best 3 shot group, I went back and bought another box. Good luck

Most scopes have the claim of waterproof shockproof and fogproof......but slug gun proof???? Make sure your scope mounts are tight and the scope is in 100% shape. Even slight vibration will throw it off a lot at 25, 50 and 100 yards.

When I shotgunned I used a vent rib bird barrel from an 11-87. Remington slugs shot pretty decent. Don't know if they would be worth a try out of your rifled barrel or not.

I have the same gun, barrel, and a Leupold scope and shot 3" groups at 100 yds with the Remington copper solid 1 oz sabots. It has been two years since I shotgun hunted, but if they still make these, I would give them a try.

Try the 3" Barnes Expanders(Federal). I use them in my Remington 870 fully rifled cantilever and I am very pleased. I am getting a 2" group at 100 yards.

Thanks guys, I did pop a big doe Satuday morning. I think I will try the Remingtons next year. Dirtball Had decent luck with the Barns about a 3" at 50 yards. Shredder I know what you mean about shotgun proof, and that may be the problem
grin.gif

Top Bottom