Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

12 or 20 Gauge?

D

deerslayer22788

What do you use 12 or 20 gauge? Which do you think is better for deer?

Just wondering,

deerslayer22788

I have used a 20 gauge for most of my slug hunts, and have loved the results. Flat shooting, and some awesome penetration. Used a 12 this slug season and loved it too......both are great.....but just like LoessHunter said, I am a little more consistant with my groups with my 20 gauge.
Good luck and good hunting!

I switched from using a 12 gauge express to a 20 gauge bps and had great results. I'm far mor consistant with the 20, and my shoulder appreciated the change too.

Loess

I've used each, and I think they both have their advantages.
12: I feel like 12 gauges have more killing power and range.
20: 20 gauges are fun to shoot. They're light and not nearly as punishing, but still have plenty of power for deer.

i shoot a 20 gauge and i love it. it has so much more advantages than a 12 does. for instants its flatter shooting, shoots alot farther, it may not have as much nock down power, but i've never had a deer go out of site, there lighter and they are the alround perfect deer gun. think about it 12 gauge 1oz of lead, 20 5/8oz or 3/4oz of lead and that means alot lighter and that means shoots farther thats why i choose a 20 over a 12 gauge!

"16point"

[This message has been edited by 16point (edited 01-02-2002).]

16point, While I think 20 gauge is a darn nice gun and adequate for deer, I think you are mistaken about 20 gauge going farther because the slug is lighter.
As a rule, the ratio of the amount of lead to the amount of powder are equal proportionally between gauges making the velocity and thus distance very similar. It may possible the 20 gauge slug is more stable and goes farther before it begins to tumble, which would equate to tighter groups. But if there is any difference in the distance it will be way past any effective range of either gun .

If anyone disagrees, please explain why. I would be glad to learn something new today and I might even buy you a beer for the lesson.

IaCraig

I'm with IaCraig on this one.
If you can't accurately shoot a 12ga. Then you are stuck with a 20ga. Nice gun for rabbits behind the beagle. Accuracy aside the 12 is a better choice.
When you a bench shooting a slug gun it should be to determine the ability of the gun and load rather than the shooter. I think that in the field the added recoil of the 12 has little or no adverse effects over a 20. That is assuming the hunter intends to kill the deer on the first shot and not just hit the deer in the process of unloading the gun.

Top Bottom