Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

120 right into the decoy

duckaholic

A couple of days ago I was driving into an area I hunt when my buddy saw a huge non-typical heading down a draw past my stand. We knew or thought we knew where he was heading. So, we hurried over the hill and got close to the end of the draw. My buddy was 30 yards behind me with a grunt call and I was waiting with the shaft. We put a Montana decoy in an opening about 30 yards to the right of me. We positioned it so that the deer would come down wind and cicle it right in front of me. Well we waited. Then I saw the top of a rack coming around the bend and I drew back. It wasn't the big boy. It was a 120 class eight pointer, good looking deer. So I let off the draw. The buck circled the decoy about 10 yards from me and when he got behind the decoy, he jumped. Got real spooky. He never took his eyes off the decoy but started to walk towards my buddy. Finally I could turn around to look at him without him seeing me move, and I thought he was going to step on my buddy. Mind you, we where on the ground and this deer came within about 10 feet of my friend before he when on about his way. After it was all over and done with, I talked to my friend and he said he wanted to get up and run when the deer got that close.
eek.gif
We couldn't think of what would have spooked the deer that bad. We thought he must have winded us. He just didn't act like it though. But as we were going to pick up the decoy, we noticed that when you are right behind the decoy a few yards away, It's almost as if the decoy disappears. I couldn't even amagine what that horny old buck thought. That was the coolest hunt I've been on yet! I had to share it with all!! Never did see the big buck, but have plenty of chances left. Good luck to all.

Top Bottom