Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

19 Year Bass

blake

Life Member
Bass estimated at 19 years old caught in Montana

bilde

A 10-year-old Montana boy fishing with a rubber worm caught a largemouth bass that state wildlife officials say could be nearly twice as old as he is.

Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks biologist Mark Deleray says the largemouth bass caught and released in a Flathead River slough by Garrett Frost could be as much as 19 years old. Deleray says that may be the oldest largemouth bass on record for Montana.

The Kalispell boy caught the fish July 16 in Rose Creek Slough.

Deleray says the fish was 20 to 22 inches long and weighed about 3.5 pounds. Garrett removed a tag that had been placed on the fish in 1997 before releasing it.

Biologists estimate the fish was 5 years old when it was tagged, based on the fact that it was just over 14 inches long and weighed 1.5 pounds.

This post is for informational purposes only.

The tagging system is great for DNR & fishermen. I can't imagine what that fish has been eating to be that old & only weigh 3.5 lbs.

I have caught several channel catfish in the mid 80s w/ Iowa & Nebraska tags. All fish were released in the Missouri & made the long journey down the mighty MO, up the Little Sioux & the up the Westfork to our farm. I still have a couple tags & the letter that the IDNR sent to me w/ the fish data. Pretty neat to study this data & look at a map of the fish's travels.

Top Bottom