Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st bird of the year

6x6

PMA Member
Thanks to Bearcat for the pistols that came UPS yesterday, to fight our sparrow and starling plague. Dang things steal all my dogs food, crap in their water, and all over my tractor. After an hour of shooting cans it was time to hunt.

They seemed to know we were armed and would not let us get nearly close enough. Then we snuck up on one by the old farmstead clueless, high in a tree. Surprised the heck out of me, Corben dropped him out of the tree, but into thick stuff. After a brief search we went for the tracking dog, who found him right away, buried along the fenceline in a blowdown. Definately gonna get him next time I'm looking for a lost gobbler. 3 weeks till turkey.

IMG_0805-1_zpseb2025e3.jpg

IMG_0810_zps37751992.jpg

IMG_08022_zps5c78b4da.jpg

IMG_0816_zps35022d81.jpg

Earlier today I went out to call coyotes and had to get past this guy.

IMG_0822_zps3e0c0868.jpg

Before I started calling, these 2 birds came out, walking by, 3 steps infront of the blind, reminding me it's almost april. I didn't even turn the call on. Just waited untill they were out of sight and snuck out.

IMG_0783_zpsaddf203e.jpg

Last edited:
You got a saddle for that dog? Bet you haven't got any wolves around. Yep those darn sparrows and starlings are a pain. Sounds like a covert operation at night is in order.

Joe that picture of Corben holding the bird and your wolf dog retriever ready to strike is awesome! We should turn him into a shed dog! LOL

What in the wide world of dogs is that thing? Some type of griffon?

He is a 3 year old Irish Wolfhound. A very smart dog. I am sure he would have made a good shed dog, coyote killer or bloodtrailer, but my main focus with him was to teach him to never leave the house area, barns and horse pens, and never look at the deer and turkeys that are around the yard almost every day and night. I will not have a dog that roams or has to be kenneled, barking all the time. I never wanted him to know whats over the hill.

He learned the rules quick and never leaves or thinks about running the deer and turkeys off when they are at the watertank and feeding around the yard. Coons and skunks are another story. He has killed dozens of raccoons and gets sprayed about once a month. Just cant break him of that.

That werewolf/horse-dog thing would scare the bejeezuts out of me if it snuck up behind me in the woods! :) Great photos! If you google "bird traps" you can learn to build a trap that will clean up your bird problem quick! Not near as fun as pistol shooting them though! :way:

That werewolf/horse-dog thing would scare the bejeezuts out of me if it snuck up behind me in the woods! :)

No kidding. Just post pictures of that dog around your property on the no tresspassing signs and no one in their right mind would step foot.

Top Bottom