Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st Real Buck with a Bow

cjc77z4

This is my first time posting a new topic so I hope I am doign right. Wednesday morning I headed out to my stand about 5:30 a.m. I have had some trouble with land this year as my "sacred spot" was sold. I then put a stand up, with permission on the neighbors, then the pond damn breaks and I can't get to my stand. So Dad tells me to put a stand up at his house. He has 5 acres, 3 is yard and 2 different one acre timber patches on both sides of the house. We always see deer from the house, but this seemd like an unlikely spot. Behind the house is a set-a-side field, with a large piece of timber a quarter to a half of a mile back. Across the road, in front of the house, is another large peice of timber. I put my stand up in a the small piece between them, 100-150 yards away from the house. Believe it or not, I saw deer here everyday, with a couple of nice bucks a long ways out across the field. Well Wednesday, I saw six deer, two spikes, a doe, and two yearlings. Then, as one of the spikes was chasing one of the yearlings around my stand, I see a lone deer with a big body about 200 yards away on the other side of the patch that I was in, away from the house. The spike started his way and I grunted and hit "the can" twice. The larger buck angled my way and was going to jump the fence and head across the road. I grunted a few more times and hit "the can" again. He turned around and headed my way. At 20 yards I stopped him and let it fly. He ran 20 yards, stopped, wobbled, and fell over dead. What a great feeling. The only other buck I have killed with a bow was a small 6 point that might have scored about 30 inches. I am still shocked that I killed one this good out of this spot. I guess you should always listen to your Dad, he awlays knows best. He told me that I woudl kill a good one here. :drink2:

Here are the links to view my buck!!

http://iowawhitetail.com/gallery/files/10376-bg.jpg

http://iowawhitetail.com/gallery/files/10376-bg6.jpg

http://iowawhitetail.com/gallery/files/10376-bg3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice buck!

10376-bg.jpg

Thanks man - You are from Nauvoo? I live in Fort Madison. Small world.

Yep. Lived in Fort Madison for a few years. I hunted with a buddy and his grandpa near highway 61 between Fort Madison and Wever until they decided to jack the Out-of-state tags to 500 dollars+. I live a mile from Iowa, at least give me half price!?

Again, great buck.

thats a good buck. you been seeing many deer moving. i'm in west point and haven't seen much movement the last few days.

Thanks man. I have been seeing a lot of deer moving. Most of the bucks that I am seeing, from my car now that I am not hunting, have been between 10am and 2pm. The big boys are out searching, if they aren't already locked down with a doe. My advice is pick a day where you can go out and sit all day. I work for the City of West Point.......and I think I know who you are. Did I call you one day in your stand? Good luck man, stop in and show me what you get..I want to see it. :drink2:

Top Bottom