Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st season Tom

SWIABOONER

PMA Member
Here is a pic of the tom I shot on the last morning of 1st season. My year had started of poorly. I took a young man hunting during the youth season. I have taken a different kid every year so far since they started the youth season and all had shot nice toms so I was feeling pretty confident(mistake 1). I had to work Friday and Saturday morning so we went out Sat. afternoon with no luck saw a couple birds and heard a few gobbles but nothing. We got out bright and early on Sunday morning. We sat up on a pair a birds that I had roosted the night before. They were going nuts and were on the ground and coming right at us off the roost. They were walking across a grazed pasture from about 100 yards. The kid(Garret) was pretty nervous as I could see him shaking. I was trying to calm him down as the birds came in when one got into range I told him to shot. When he pulled the trigger CLICK! no shell in the chamber. Which was my fault I let him carry the gun in but when I loaded it I just put two shells in the magazine for safety sake. I was so excited about the birds I forgot to tell him to put one in the chamber. So I told him to pump it and try and get a shot off. The birds were close and if they run they'll still be close. Well he did and missed twice. I felt terrible. That afternoon I called in a tom for him and again he missed. So for the first time since it began I failed my youth hunter to get them a bird. Now on to first season. I take my dad with for the last few years and always try and get him a bird first since he's only hunted turkeys for a few years, no such luck this year. We hunted all week with only one opportunity, and Monday morning. We had three toms come in from behind us and spooked as they got beside us. He couldn't go out on Thursday so what happens, I go out call in two birds off the roost, would have been an easy double if he was there but he wasn't so I shot the strutter and here he is. Kind of bittersweet, I'm glad I got a bird but it would have been a lot better had everyone else got theirs too.

Stats
24.75lbs
10 5/8" beard
1 1/16", and 1" spurs

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/3050/261DSCF1130-med.jpg

Top Bottom