Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1ST Season Turkey

W

WHTFANTASIES

Was fortunate enough to draw for the first season in zone four . I know it is early but is this a good season just asking for opinions on this. I know the area I hunt has alot of birds.

Is it a good season? You'll be in Iowa hunting turkeys, what could be better? One thing I will say, bring every stitch of clothing you have.
Last year it was mid to upper 80's. The year before that it was 15 above with the wind chill.I've hunted 1st season 5 years now and it's never been the same. Between the weather or how the birds were acting. I do like the fact of being the first one out there, the birds haven't been called to or bumped or shot at.

1st season can be very good if the weather cooperate's,if the weather get's cold it can very quickly turn from a calling game to a trying to stay warm and spot and stalk,get in front of were there going.I've had great luck in 1st season the last few year's but you have to be very careful with movement,the timber is alot more open then,also if your hunting away from home make sure you pack for cold weather.
Good luck!

Bring plenty of clothes and good raingear! Plan to dress in layers too, because it can change quickly. Last year fourth season, I had basically everything on I had with me in the morning and was still cold. But by the time I was dressing out the gobbler mid-morning, I was in shirt sleeves. Spring in Iowa (like the other three seasons) is unpredictable, but well worth the trip, especially if you can stay warm and dry.

Good luck -- let us know how it goes!

Threebeards

I've hunted 1st season for the last 15 years and have always had real good luck... In 1997 we had 20 inches of snow 3 days before 1st season down here in southeast Iowa, needless to say it was alitte tougher that year...

This will be my first year turkey hunting in Iowa also. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for all the tips.
Whtfantasies-was wondering if you have received your tag yet. Was wondering when they mail them? I just recently moved, that's why I'm a little concerned.Thanks
Grunter

Just got my tag today thanks for all the input can't wait to get there and make it happen. Good luck to all and be safe.

Top Bottom