2 archery bird's Friday the 20th

jjclausen

I had just returned from Nebraska on Thursday night and decided since I had Friday off I would get my first Iowa hunt in. After all the rain on Thursday I thought the birds might be ready for a sunny day. The morning was sunny but also windy and cold. I didn't hear any birds gobbling on roost, and finally a hour after fly down a lone gobble to the north in a picked corn field. The bird wouldn't gobble to my calls but would gobble to a rooster pheasant that would cackle every couple pf minutes. I could tell he was getting closer every time. He shut up and I thought he may of picked up a hen but about 15 minutes after his last gobble he and a jake showed themselves at about 30 yards turned and marched into my DSD's at 10 yards. I drew and shot him and he went about 10 yards and tipped over. He flopped in the wet grass so he got real wet and the picture didn't turn out that good.

View attachment 1333

View attachment 1334

View attachment 1333

The second hunt took place that afternoon after I picked up my 4 year old daughter from daycare. She had been wanting to go sit in the blind and turkey hunt since last year. After a hour and a half she was still hanging in there pretty good, with the help of fruit snacks and granola bars. I looked up to see 2 hens cutting across the field in front of us. I got her up to look out the blind to see them when I saw a fan coming over the hill behind them. After telling her to be real quiet and don't move he saw my jake and hen and with a few soft purrs and yelps he b- lined into the decoys full strut. He circled the jake and gave me a great rear shot. He took off running over to the thick creek bottom and I took chase telling her to stay there. That turkey had the will to live running from me but finally toppling over. He left a blood trail like a deer and can't believe after cleaning him he went that far.

It was a hunt I will remember for ever because it was with my favorite hunting partner.

ForumRunner_20120423_164035.jpg

Great hunt and cool pics! That one of your daughter is priceless. I took my daughter last year and we didn't see or hear anything. She's joining me again and we're both excited!

Way to go man! Send a little bit of your luck/skill my way, because I need some! These turkeys have been driving me nuts the past 4 days...

Chris...I lost my mind long ago, in fact, it may be too late for you ;)

But SAVE YOUR GIRLFRIEND from the mental disease that is turkey hunting!

Back