Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

200 dead deer so far

iabwhntr

I don't know if some one has already started this thread but I just saw on the news that the DNR have recorded 200 dead deer from a virus. This virus is spread by the midge fly whose numbers are up because of the drought.

Those Farm Bureau boys won't know what to do this year....cry because the harvest sucks or celebrate cause the deer are dying off.

Channel 13 didn't say if that count was localized or statewide. I would think if it was statewide more folks would have heard about it.

I'd guess the total death is north of 200. It's been very prolific in certain areas this summer.

I belive this number is way low. I know one guy who has found over 100 on his farms. Many countys and many more farms. 1000's of acres.

I farm and live in Coles county, il., in less than two weeks I have seen over 40 dead deer and have smelled several others. We have had an extreme drought and the dead deer are usually in or next to the river or wet creek beds and ponds. About 75% are bucks with the older ones going first. The smell is similar to that off dead rats and the buzzards and coyotes do not want much to do with them. Seems worst right in this area, however the CPO says it is state wide all the way to cook county. This sickness is killing the majority of the deer in this area and they say it will be here until the frost or freeze kills the bugs that start it.

Kinda scary. Something like this could do long term damage. Seeing lots of nice bucks out traveling around in the evenings, hope it stays south...

I have gotten four salvage tags so far a 14,16,11 and 8 point, all in velvet except 16 was starting to shed. Found my first fawn with spots still on it beside our lake. Rode 4 wheeler for over an hour normally see deer everywhere but I only seen two does and one was standing at the edge of the lake drinking water for over thirty minutes, so I think she probably has fever and won't be around long. Eight point buck Thursday morning dead by bean field had foam coming out of its mouth, and blood coming from its nose with blood shot eyes. Last Sunday another eight point was laying down holding its head up and it was shaking its head and acting drunk, we were twenty feet away and it did not act like it knew we were there, an hour later it was dead. Neighbor supposedly found ten point albino floating In a pond, I know there was one in the area. I normally see dozen deer at least early mornings and evenings now there are none. In less than two weeks over approximately an 2000 acre wooded/reclaimed mineing area surrounded by farm ground I have seen 45-50 dead deer and smelled many more unbelievable!!!

Wouldnt putting tubs of altosid or rabon out help contain and prevent? Just an idea..

EHD in Pott co

EHD is caused by midges in drought areas, water is contaminated and deer are stuck with not much to drink. we have found several in our area of SW Pott co. some of them are found dead in the water they are drinking. DNR says it's wide spread and will not stop until we either get a lot of rain or heavy frost. this disease can be very bad to an area and could kill a lot of deer in a small area.:mad:

We have been working on our stands the last 2 weekends on 3 different farms in Van Buren county and we found our first and hopefully last dead deer yesterday. He was a mature 8 pointer that looked like he had only been dead for a week or so. He was laying 25 yards from a pond. Sure hope it gets cold soon.

Iowa's dead deer

it seems like the dead deer we have been seeing on the west side along MO river has just started in the past couple weeks found another nice fresh buck today i doubt if you will only find one or two if you have been very dry on the east side. our total on a few hundred acres so far is about 8 or 10 highest percent are bucks the corn hasn't been out yet but most have been found close to water. i sure don't like to see them go like they do it has to be pretty ruff watching them suffer that much.:(

A wildlife biologist friend of mine said that the consensus amoungst many of the top deer biologist nationwide predict that 2012 may very well break all records for EHD deaths. In some areas they believe deer densities could go from 20/30 per square mile to 5/10 per square mile....it is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better !....a buddy of mine in Appanoose has found 7 so far with his nose just by driving around on his four wheeler.

Top Bottom