Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2009, Another Year Gone By

Shovelbuck

What a year it was! I usually wait to make my yearly, year in review post until after January 15th when our late doe season ends. With the snow drifts, or better yet.....Glaciers, blocking the way to my hunting spots, now is as good of time as any to write up last years highlights.

Last January and February found me having a blast hunting bunnies with a .54 flintlock and my original percussion gun.......

Flintlockbunnies-Copy.jpg

1-Copy.jpg

That was a lot of fun and hopefully I'll be able to do it again.

Next came shed hunting. I had an off year but still managed to get some.
Jan30.jpg

At this time of year I also do some fossil hunting. Unfortunately, this year on the sandbar didn't produce anything.

Next thing I knew it was Turkey time. Last year I had mentioned a plan I had for some unique turkey harvest photos. That plan hasn't worked out yet but it's still in the works. I have my new lodge poles cut but can't seem to get the turkeys to cooperate when I have the time to set it up. These photos will have to do.
photoshopgrin-Copy.jpg

IWTom.jpg

After turkeys, I rebuilt some antlers and then got serious on some muzzleloader builds.
Built my .62 flintlock first.......
100_3208.jpg

Then rebuilt my .54 rifle along with a derringer.
DCP_1181.jpg

Somewhere in this time frame I played around making some bone knives along with some others.
100_3100.jpg

DCP_1020.jpg

Dove season was here before I knew it and I really wanted to get some with the smoothbore flintlock. I missed a few early on then the third time out, I tripped and fell, breaking a rib in the process. That ended my bow season before it even started.

On to gun season.....
Trail camera photos had shown some good bucks in the area but I'm done chasing just a particular animal. I hunt to have fun and challenge myself with primitive / traditional weapons. Congrats to those that hunt big bucks only, but it just isn't for me anymore.
SUNP0002-Copy.jpg

Nov3.jpg

Headed out for our rifle season with the smoothbore......
Awesome feeling to take one with a gun built by myself!
Nov15buck-1.jpg

A few weeks later during our muzzleloader season, this doe went in the freezer.
DCP_0157-Copy.jpg

During this fall seasons, I chased turkeys a bit as time allowed but they didn't cooperate and that tag went unfilled along with my muzzleloader either sex tag.

I still have a season choice tag good through the 15th, if possible, I'll try to get out and fill it. I'm also hoping to get out before the small game seasons are over and connect with some bunnies or pheasants.

A lot of other things happened along the journey this year. One was meeting up with Blake in Omaha for the Nebraska Deer Classic. Unfortunately, the visit was cut short due to a bad knee, causing my early departure. Because of this I was unable to meet dc240nt and probably a few others.

I thank the Lord every day for the opportunities to do these great hobbies I enjoy, and to the great folks here on Iowawhitetail to share them with.

Keep your powder dry and take care,
Jay

DSCN00183.jpg

Link to last years highlights......
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28976

Link to .62 smoothbore build.....
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30703

Link to .54 rebuild.......
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30956

Last edited:
It's always fun to look back on the past year. You are truly a talented man, Jay. As always, I enjoyed the post!

-Longspurs-

Great pics and what a great and fun year it seems you had. It is easy to tell that you really enjoy your accomplishments. Congrats

Great picture story, it is neat to see someone that enjoys the outdoors so much. Thanks for sharing!

What a year for you Jay! I have really enjoyed tagging along if only via the web. Your skills are truly a lost art! :way:

Great post Jay! Looks like you made the best of 2009! Here's hoping that 2010 is just a good.:way:

Another yearly post I look forward to reading each year....

Dang Jay, not much that hasn't been said....awesome season, congrats on all of your accomplishments. Your new leathers look like they are treating you well. :way:

Great writeup and pics Jay, love to see you enjoy the outdoors and some of the lost arts so much. Hope your 2010 season is even better. :way:

Top Bottom