Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2011 Bushnell "Black Flash" Trophy Cam

jjohnson

We'll I was getting anxious so I decided to go check the camera today. This is Bushnells new "black flash" "low glow" camera. It takes HD video in 1280X720 pixels. There is a step up that takes video in 1920x1080 and also includes a color viewer.

I had the camera out for 4 days set on the 720 video. It's unreal. I thought the sound would be dumb but it's actually pretty sweet. Switched to camera mode and will update the thread on my next card pull. So far this camera has had ZERO issues. I'll just let the videos speak for themselves. These are youtube videos and to get the quality you have to click on the bottom right and select 720. Turn up your volume too...

Day videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgInHdcmQD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVvQyLTCvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwATacXPAmc

Night videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaPwpZtuHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxQLfc_JScY

wow, that's some pretty darn good video. If no real issues pop up with these I might have to get a couple this summer.:way:

I also want to say that if anyone is having problems with their 2010 Bushnell's and have already tried their software update. I would call Bushnell customer service and get them sent in. I just did the other day but I wanted to upgrade to 2011 cams. The lady said this is fine but there may be a charge. She said to send the cams in with a note and if there is a charge they will contact me. I had heard of some people on chasingame.com that were getting 2011's in return for their bad 2010's so I figured what the heck. Had 3 with issues so we'll see what happens. It is my understanding that the warranty will be 2 years starting when I get my returns.

Bushnell has been really good to deal with on returning cameras. I've sold 2-3 hundred 2009-2010 Bushnell's the past couple years. Probably returned 3-4 2009's and 10-15 2010's. Never had any issues when getting replacements. If you call them prepare to be on hold for a bit. Normally I just send them in with a note and wait for the new cams but if you've never done it before I would call first...

So I seem to be the wet blanket on lot's of these technical "improvements". Please, in great scientific technical detail, explain what "black flash" is? If I take the term for face value, and from my understanding of photonics and physics, this might violate a law or two.

Other than that, I love my 2009 Bushnell Trophy Cams, just hate to see anybody pandering snake oil to the masses.

In great scientific detail Bushnell calls them "Black LED" I believe. I call them "blacked out", "no glow", "black flash", "low glow" really what ever comes to tongue:D. Yes you can see a very faint glow. To be honest I never even looked at it in the dark yet. I'm going off of what others have said. Here's a nice chat on chasingame.com about this very topic http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21351&start=0

I will say IMO it is an improvement over regular IR cams. I've heard from a few that have been running them that most of the time the cams are not noticed by deer. And a few had yotes milling around that paid no attention. I did have a few deer videos where they looked at the camera but I believe this was a scent issue because I had a lot of deer look at it liked they smelled something during the day and a few at night. I can't wait to do some field edge testing and scrapes come fall.

Also on camera mode where the LED's are lit for only a fraction of a second I think it would be tough for anything to notice.

In great scientific detail Bushnell calls them "Black LED" I believe. I call them "blacked out", "no glow", "black flash", "low glow" really what ever comes to tongue:D.
I want specifics on the wavelength of light these cams emit! Because without light, you have no image. The claim of black is BS. It might be far red shifted, but it HAS to be light versus "black" (which by definition is the absence of light). Now it could be far red shifted; 650 + nanometer wavelength that is not visible to the normal human eye, but it is still "light".

I did have a few deer videos where they looked at the camera
Many cams have a sensor that lights up when the cam is activatated, kind of defeats the "stealth mode".

I just want to see if I notice less deer spooking with this camera over the regular IR's.

Relax Bronc, do a little of your own leg work or call Mark Welch form Bushnell, I'm sure he would be more than happy to fill you in on the technology. I'm pretty sure Justins post was simply to show us that he is having good results with the new cams, not to argue with you about how much light the cam gives off and whether or not is infringing on false advertisement. Every time someone posts something on here about a new product, you rip them for it. It's one thing if they are "pushing" the sale on you, it's another if it is strictly for informational purposes. I don't think JJohnson ever claimed that he studied Optics in school.

This is not necessarily a new technology. Reconyx has been utilizing the "low glow" tech for the last few years. Uway and others also have cameras offering black flash as well. Just this year Bushnell, Primos, and Moultrie (maybe more) ALL have offerings with this technology.

I have used a few of them and the amount of deer "scared" by these cameras is significantly less then the standard flash and what I call the red blob pieces. I have not done any "standardized testing" but personaly believe this is the wave of the future for game cams.

Glad you're enjoying your Bushnell, hopefully they have a few less issues then last years cams.

This is not necessarily a new technology. Reconyx has been utilizing the "low glow" tech for the last few years. Uway and others also have cameras offering black flash as well. Just this year Bushnell, Primos, and Moultrie (maybe more) ALL have offerings with this technology.

I have used a few of them and the amount of deer "scared" by these cameras is significantly less then the standard flash and what I call the red blob pieces. I have not done any "standardized testing" but personaly believe this is the wave of the future for game cams.

Glad you're enjoying your Bushnell, hopefully they have a few less issues then last years cams.

Yeah I've been just waiting for a low glow camera that was also cost effective. So far so good with it...

That HD video is pretty awesome. Are they the same size cameras as before? I make my own security boxes and wonder if I can use the same pattern and dimentions as the 2010 models.

That HD video is pretty awesome. Are they the same size cameras as before? I make my own security boxes and wonder if I can use the same pattern and dimentions as the 2010 models.

The two low-glow models are a bigger camera than the 2010s.

I moved the camera to a field edge a week ago and had some time today so I snuck in to check on it. So far I'm pleased with the camera. I did have a group of pics with nothing in them but there were weeds blowing in front of camera. I also did have a handful of pics that had a little blur to them but no more than any other camera I've owned.

Daytime pics are phenomenal like the 2010 Bushnells (8mp). Night pics are NOT as bright as previous Bushnell's but that is to be expected as this is the "low glow model". They're somewhere in the ballpark of the 09' models. I'm fine with that because I will continue to use on mineral, field pinches, scrapes, or trails. All of which I rarely need bright night pics.

Also I think it's important to note that I've owned a lot of cams that when day turns to night or vice versa. They tend to white-out or blur out. THis is no good especially since a lot of your big bucks travel right at that time. That's one of the first things I noticed with this camera is all of these transition pics are great.

The camera is sensing things great. Almost too good. It's got a wide sensing angle and I might try some electrical tape on both sides to try and narrow that up. Some deer hardly get into frame and the pic is alrealy taken. This helps though when they are moving quickly...

Attachments

• PICT0096.jpg
    PICT0096.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT0077.jpg
    PICT0077.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 85
  • PICT0097.jpg
    PICT0097.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 90
Here's a few more...

Attachments