Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2012 25th year deer hunting buck

CR Archer

I made it out on Friday October 5th. It was a great night to be out. With the drought and all the stories of deer population decline I thought I would be in for a long season.

I sat in an old faithful stand starting about 4:15. The first deer was a nice 10 point I guessed to be in the 140's. He was bedded down about 80 yards away and I watched him for about an hour, he would browse,bed and the browse again. After he left I had between 8-10 does browse through the timber, none close enough to fill a tag.

Around sunset I had a 9pt come through that I guessed to be in the mid 120's. Being that I have not had a shot on anything nice in a few years I decided that a buck in the truck was better then 2 in the bush so I took a nice broadside shot at about 25 yards and watched him run away with arrow in him.

I decided to back out and wait until morning since I figured blood may be scarce to start. Good call, no blood in the 100 yards or so I tracked by following the trail he ran. I found him piled up in a sticker / burr covered clear cut that is 2 years old and overgrown with weeds. I never found the arrow and when field dressing him discovered it was a liver shot.

He ended up field dressing about 170 pounds, 9 point, grossed 135 on some change netted 126 6/8. Outside measurement is 19 1/4. He is going to make a nice Euro mount to remember my 25th season of deer hunting.

bow2012.jpg

bow2012a.jpg

Top Bottom