Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2012 Gobby

scottonbuck

Well I am finally getting sat down long enough to post my short but sweet turkey story. Gotta love the rain days gives me a break from the chaotic cycle of baseball and soccer games.
This year has for sure been a challenge in more ways than one, I can not remember the last time I have missed opening day of turkey season. In fact I think this was the first. I finally had some time free up the last day of second season and was dead set on finally taking the stick flicker out and hunt some turks for myself after a long but successful youth season. I had made plans to go out with another guy that afternoon but he had something come up at the last minute and could not go. I thought great now I am getting out late since I was waiting around the birds will already be out when I get there.
I chose a spot on a hill top where two fence lines meet forming a cross with gates going thru both fences. I have seen turkeys travel these fences numerous times in the past. I set up at 6:00pm in this spot figuring that if I missed the turks coming out I could get them when they come back or at least see where they are coming and going. I was merely on a recon mission at this point and didnt even set out any dekes and I forgot my calls in the truck. Awesome!!
Well after getting set up I look out in the field and there is a strutter walking out of the woods at about 80 yards, followed by 4 hens. They all head south with the hens taking the lead. The strutter followed behind at a distance putting on a show for the ladies when they turned and walked right towards me. It couldnt have worked out any better if I wrote the script. The hens walked behind the blind going thru the gate and I was directly between them and the gobby. He came straight across the field to me and I anchored him at 15 yards. I was packed up and back at the truck at 6:45 with a nice long beard. He weighed 25lbs had a 10 inch beard and 1 1/4 spurs. For a score of 70 even if i did my math right.
I think I might have a new turkey hunting strategy which is take less junk, get out late and get lucky.
I will have pics posted as soon as I figure it out or I may email it to someone.

Good job, sometimes it's meant to be, even when nothing goes right. Kinda like all the times you do everything by the book, but murphys law always kicks your butt.

Top Bottom