Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 Bow Buck

Liv4Rut

Well I managed to get one off public ground Saturday morning. It was a frustrating season to say the least. I have two little ones at home and just did not have the time I needed to get out. I will say I cherished every minute I got in the tree though as it was much needed.

It started last Saturday which was the first day of the year I could hunt. I went down South to some public ground for an all day hunt and ended up having a great day drawing on two shooters 5 times but could not get it done. I had a blast but was crushed as I did not believe I would get to get back down there the rest the season.

I did have the upcoming week off on vacation however my spots were limited and I could only hunt after dropping kids off at daycare and being back to pick them up. The first day Monday I was at home with a sick kid. Tuesday - Friday were all 9am-3pm hunts in areas I had no confidence in. I made due and saw a few little guys and a few does. I was dying to get back down South.

I made arrangements to have my mom watch the kids saturday so I could go down south for an all day hunt. It would pretty much be my last shot until shotgun season. My buddy Fred was not seeing much action yet on his place so he went down there to the ridge I saw the two shooters at and over the course of the past few days he was fine tuning his set up moving in on the action.

Saturday morning comes and I took over the ridge I have hunted in the past. Sorry Fred. :D He told me to move down about 75 yards from his last set up that he had marked on the gps. I made my way down there in the morning and found a great tree about 60 yards West of his last set up and I could shoot a good 40 yards past that.

It took awhile to get set up as it was a really brushy tree. I hang the stand hanging West but did not like it and ended up hanging it facing East which was much better. It was a small tree but good cover. Once it got light I knew I was set up well as I could take it yard everywhere down there and I simply could picture a big buck walking by from what I have seen in the past.

Right off the bat a descent buck was on top of the ridge. I grunted at him and a small 8pt came in to investigate. At 9:30 I had a big doe come down the ridge and bed 30 yards away facing me. About 10 minutes later her button buck came down and bedded about 10 yards West of her.

I thought sweet, live bait. The next hour and 15 minutes were torture as they were facing me and I could not move. I had a few flocks of turkeys move through and was just enjoying life. My plan was to limit movement and just watch the big doe as she would tip me off to any movement.

At 10:45 she whipped her head West and I looked over and saw a nice buck push a big doe right below them. I instantly stood up and grabbed my bow. I figured they were long gone as they were heading North. About 5 minutes later the big doe was coming high at 40 yards. I sat down and prepared for a shot thinking any minute the buck would be coming but he didn't.

I looked back over at the bedded deer and I could see him standing 10 yards behind them but could not see his rack. About 5 minutes later he let out a roar and charged the bedded button buck. He looked nice to me so I drew back. He was standing there broadside at 30 yards just grunting away. I settled the pin and let it fly.

The arrow buried perfectly behind his shoulder passing through and I knew I smoked him. He went about 30 yards and crashed. I was very excited and happy that I got it done with the small amount of time I had. He isn't huge but I am very blessed to have taken him. I would also like to say Thanks to Fred and Justin for helping me drag him the mile out. I would probably still be down there huffing and puffing. Oh and to Fred, I think the stand is fine tuned now. Thanks!! :way:

982-2013_b0w.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Mike! It's tough when time is limited and other priorities cut into hunting during the best times to be out there, but it makes it all the sweeter when you do connect!

Top Bottom