Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 Colorado Mule Deer

TheMadCatter

After having an awful Elk Season this brightened my spirits!

5am- Woke up and was ready to hunt! The family, not so much.

6:25am- Out the door! Legal shooting light was at 6:45am.

7:20am Reach the destination, and man! There were a lot of hunters! We counted 39 Trucks in one area. Spot 6 Does and move on to our area we're planning to go.

8am- Heard 60-70 shots, 26 of them were from the same two guys and they didn't even hit anything.

8:20am- Somebody is already on the ridge I wanted, no big deal! We move to a different ridge, we heard 7 shots and see 5 Does pop over the hill towards us.

9am- Starting to think all the deer that are left are the doe bedded 250 yards from us...guy 400 yards from us shot a 13pt Mule deer buck.

10am- EVERYBODY left...we just watched everybody leave.

11am- Does are STILL bedded there. 12pm- Yup, still there. Watch a few guys stop walk in about 500 yards walk back out like 6-7 times (different hunters) 1pm- Just relaxing, watching the does...

2pm- I was reading a book and just happened to peeked over the ridge and a buck was right there at 75 yards with his head down on the ground sprinting and making little grunt noises. I grabbed my gun and put my heart right on his shoulder as he stood there and he just barely moved and I shot him a little far back. Next shot I missed, and notice I was out of my deer ammo! 300 yards down the hill and I grab my elk ammo and put on shot in and got prone, squeezed the trigger, and he dropped! Perfect quartering away shot.

3pm- My Cousin has never shot a deer, he had no idea how to gut or quarter a buck. Packed over 100lbs out 3 miles! Saw lots of does and smaller bucks on our way back out.

Finished the night fishing, this trip was a blast! I'll be heading back home tomorrow and I'll be after whitetail again! It seems like people just meander around the mountains, they didn't just sit still or stay out very long.

12135-image-3033748897.jpg

Last edited:
Good job kid! I'm not sure I could handle that kind of hunting pressure all around me, kudos for sticking with it!

Top Bottom