Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 Iowa Deer Classic Pics

bowman

Super Moderator
We spent Saturday and Sunday at the Classic. My kids (Allison, Trenton, and Hayden) along with my nephew, Luke, and my kid's friends Ashlee and Grant. We hit just about everything but only one seminar. I'll break this down in a few posts.

A view from the skywalk............

1040-c1.jpg

We had a great chat with dbltree's son.................

1040-c2.jpg

We hung out at the Lick Creek booth a while and dreamed of a blind that I won't likely own for a while :D...............

1040-c3.jpg

We caught up with Todd at the Wicked booth...............

1040-c4.jpg

We hung out with the Outreach Outdoors crew....................

1040-_26340.jpg

and enjoyed the worship service Sunday morning. Matt Thede (Gladiator) has an amazing voice and did a fantastic job with worship............

1040-c6.jpg

and Matt Hofert had a great message on using the gifts that God has given you to glorify him. We really enjoyed it.

1040-c7.jpg

Hayden enjoyed shooting at the NWTF booth. When the guy said he was impressed that Hayden shot 10's, Hayden said, "I've been doing this for a long time!":D

1040-c8.jpg

and Hayden also enjoyed his photo opp with Nicole Reeves of Driven TV.....

1040-c9.jpg

Allison (right) and her friend Ashlee thought Nichole was pretty cool too..................

1040-c10.jpg

Hayden shot a few bullseyes with the bow (see target in background) making the guy shooting next to him blush..............................

1040-c11.jpg

and we had a nice chat with John Dudley at the Nock On booth.....................

1040-c12.jpg

Hayden thought this was a pretty cool piece............................

1040-c13.jpg

We met Melissa Bachman at the IBA booth. She was very cool and was Allison's favorite. Bachman gave Allison a hat and a video, making her a fan for sure.............

1040-c14.jpg

Trenton found every opportunity to shoot a bow!;)

1040-c15.jpg

I took some time to shoot the Hoyt Carbon Spider...........................

1040-c16.jpg

and the Elite Energy..................................................

1040-c17.jpg

While both bows were smooth and I would happily own either one, one of them surprised me and had litterally no hand shock or jump. Any quess which one?????????:rolleyes:

The Heartland Bowhunter crew were very down to earth nice guys........

1040-c18.jpg

Allison was up for checking out a new blind contraption.............

1040-c19.jpg

Andy Ross always has a soft spot for the kids and is one of Hayden's favorite stops........................

1040-c20.jpg

Allison & Ashlee talked these guys into $15 shirts for $7 each. Team N.X.G. then asked them for a photo for their Facebook page. :D

1040-c21.jpg

Sam and Vicki were very busy but took a few seconds for a photo..........

1040-c22.jpg

One of our favorite stops was at the Raised Hunting booth. David and Karin Holder were great people. I had seen David on a Primos Monster Bulls video and on Team Elk (RMEF). I caught his predator calling seminar on Saturday and chatted for quite a while on Sunday about Elk tactics. Very cool people!:way:

1040-c23.jpg

The kids liked the bale blinds, although nephew Luke seemed surprised at how many people fit in the blind......................

1040-c24.jpg

I'll post more pics of the leader board for bucks and sheds!:way:

Last edited:
These were all the leaders as of 1pm Sunday afternoon.....................

1040-c25.jpg

1040-c26.jpg

1040-c27.jpg

1040-c28.jpg

1040-c29.jpg

1040-c32.jpg

1040-c33.jpg

1040-c34.jpg

1040-c35.jpg

1040-c36.jpg

1040-c37.jpg

1040-c38.jpg

1040-c39.jpg

1040-c40.jpg

1040-c41.jpg

1040-c42.jpg

1040-c43.jpg

1040-c44.jpg

1040-c45.jpg

1040-c46.jpg

1040-c47.jpg

Thats all I have folks. Feel free to add your 2014 Iowa Deer Classic photos here!!!:way:

Heard numbers entered in the buck contest were way down last year. 5th place typical archery would of beat 1st this year by 10 inches.. I know that isn't the goal of everyone, but I am assuming EHD and over harvesting the past few years have played a significant part of this?

First of all, when did Trenton grow up??? Holy cow! I expected Allison and Hayden to grow, but Trenton??

One of these days, I'd like to make it back there for the classic.

Wow, Unbelievable drop from last year! Hope this isn't the trend...............

Don't forget that there was a little snow storm that the whole state had to deal with for pretty much the entire length of the show.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. Friday was dead for deer heads hanging. Nice to see the leader boards.

Sure wish i could've ran into Melissa Bachman!!!!!!!!!

Heard numbers entered in the buck contest were way down last year. 5th place typical archery would of beat 1st this year by 10 inches.. I know that isn't the goal of everyone, but I am assuming EHD and over harvesting the past few years have played a significant part of this?

Yeah my buck would have won typ this year but I'm not interested in that

Scores were way down from past years but still some pretty impressive racks. My only gripe is that I wish they'd post the net & grossscore on each scorecard.

After taking my deer down there and the sheds last year I have made my mind up that the scoring system is flawed. For a typical buck it works just fine but on a non typical they deducted the points for it. To me a non typical should add all the abnormal points and not deduct from it just cuz its not typical. Ino its just a number and won't make it taste any better but I think they need to fix the way the score non typicals. My sheds last year had scored by 4 diff people around here and we all came up with from the 210 to 220 gross or 205 net... that's without spread. And at the classic last year only scored 165.... they told me there was over 40 inches of deductions. And for my deer in profile pic we had scored at 157 and taxidermist had him in 160s. And again at the classic they had him at only 125 after deductions. Once again its just a number and not gonna change what I think bout my deer or sheds I found. For first buck and first sheds they are a once in lifetime set. I just think for non tyipcals they should not deduct points for it not being typical..... that's why there is 2 categories in the first place. At least that's my thinking.

Even non-typicals get the Main frame differences deducted.. and then add in the nontypical points.

After taking my deer down there and the sheds last year I have made my mind up that the scoring system is flawed. For a typical buck it works just fine but on a non typical they deducted the points for it. To me a non typical should add all the abnormal points and not deduct from it just cuz its not typical. Ino its just a number and won't make it taste any better but I think they need to fix the way the score non typicals. My sheds last year had scored by 4 diff people around here and we all came up with from the 210 to 220 gross or 205 net... that's without spread. And at the classic last year only scored 165.... they told me there was over 40 inches of deductions. And for my deer in profile pic we had scored at 157 and taxidermist had him in 160s. And again at the classic they had him at only 125 after deductions. Once again its just a number and not gonna change what I think bout my deer or sheds I found. For first buck and first sheds they are a once in lifetime set. I just think for non tyipcals they should not deduct points for it not being typical..... that's why there is 2 categories in the first place. At least that's my thinking.

I'd have to agree with that buck in your profile only to score 125

I think your differences are more with Boone & Crocket / Pope & Young scoring systems versus the Deer Classic itself. Theoretically, yes I concur. I believe an animal should get credit for everything it grows - particularly a NT. However, these two scoring systems are the most recognized over the long term whether we agree with the overall logic or not. For the Iowa Deer Classic to be scoring bucks under any other scoring system would discredit the event.

Top Bottom