Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 rule change

I heard a rumor from a Guy I work with (he is usually pretty reliable) that the dnr will be having major rule changes next season. With the widespread ehd kills and overhunting in some areas the rumor is that you will be allowed one any sex tag per year for the next 3-5 years in order to bring the population back. So if you bow hunt that's your only tag same with all the other seasons just one tag for the year also was told there will be no NR tags during this time frame.

My thoughts on this are it will definitely work to help repopulate the areas like SW Iowa where there are alot more deer currently but I don't see how this will truly help around where I grew up in Wright county where there haven't been but maybe 100 antlerless tags per year since I started hunting in the early 90s the cover and habitat around where I grew up was pretty much nil unless there is a river or creek in the area it has all been tilled and turned into cropland fence line to fenceline road to road. Even if the population in areas like this came back up from this the first year or two of hunting after the 3-5 year would be better but then right back to the usual where you are lucky to see deer during season let alone get a shot at one.

Just my opinion not trying to rile anyone up just curious what others think about this.

I have a hard time believing they'd make a radical change such as that, but I guess anything is possible. If the goal is to increase the population, it'd be more effective if they went back to the "antlered only" paid tags for archery and shotgun. That's how the population was really built up back in the 70's and 80's. But I realize that would not be a popular idea either...

NWBuck

I heard a rumor that they are going to shut down pheasant hunting. Only let you hunt deer from your trucks and double the cost of our jackalope tags…… THOSE SOBs! Heard this from a very reliable source. ( Tom Litchfield).

You all are falling into the trap. They want to illiminate hunting altogether....

Soon they will be giving out free birthcontrol pills to all the doe's........... lol

You all are falling into the trap. They want to illiminate hunting altogether.... Soon they will be giving out free birthcontrol pills to all the doe's........... lol

Careful they already are tying their tubes in the burbs at a cost if 3k per doe!

I would say you need to start looking for a new reliable guy because your old reliable guy is not very reliable.

It seems really fare fetched for any state government to allow something like this. Maybe hunters need to join together and start a political party or political fund to go up against the FB, dumb liberals and spine-less republicans. Obiviously none of the political parties represent 95% of us really.........

I heard a rumor from a Guy I work with (he is usually pretty reliable) that the dnr will be having major rule changes next season. With the widespread ehd kills and overhunting in some areas the rumor is that you will be allowed one any sex tag per year for the next 3-5 years in order to bring the population back. So if you bow hunt that's your only tag same with all the other seasons just one tag for the year also was told there will be no NR tags during this time frame.

My thoughts on this are it will definitely work to help repopulate the areas like SW Iowa where there are alot more deer currently but I don't see how this will truly help around where I grew up in Wright county where there haven't been but maybe 100 antlerless tags per year since I started hunting in the early 90s the cover and habitat around where I grew up was pretty much nil unless there is a river or creek in the area it has all been tilled and turned into cropland fence line to fenceline road to road. Even if the population in areas like this came back up from this the first year or two of hunting after the 3-5 year would be better but then right back to the usual where you are lucky to see deer during season let alone get a shot at one.

Just my opinion not trying to rile anyone up just curious what others think about this.

Your friend is pulling your leg. If the DNR wants the population to come back taking away one anysex tag won't make a difference at all. Taking away the doe tags will. I suspect the DNR will issue their recommendations as usual and the governor will throw those recommendations in the trash.

I think there is some truth to this. Last I heard, Branstad had been reading a lot of outdoor forums and had heard the outcry from hunters!

:D

Double NR tags to 1000.00 bucks. Hire a few more wardens. Tell them no warnings period. Write write and write some more fines, drive revenue through the roof. Take those gov tags and put all of them up for auction to the highest Bidder. spend some coin on some good ads in all the major deer magazines. Make it like the Maine Moose tag auction. Most all of those Moose tags go for north of 10k. Internet bidding will be open to a live skye feed to anyone who can connect. Pre auction registration will be mandatory.

That way it will cause a feeding frenzy for those 100 or so gov tags and you will really find out what the market will bear when it comes to price. Bidders will not know if 1 tag or 100 tags will be up for auction thus causing the frenzy.

i can see it...Tag number 100 your bidding on..bidding starts at 5k, dshhs hahhhd jajajh sold to lady number 63 for 8,900 bucks.

And why not? the average deer hunter already thinks there are 2 giants behind every tree here.

Last edited:
I heard from a rock solid source that in September 2014 the governor is planning to hand out condoms to bucks at local watering holes, food plots and mineral sites.

Top Bottom