Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015 AZ Hunting Journal

Its Sydney again, logged in through dad. Sorry its taken me so long to get this update, but soccer camp and separate keeper training have kept me busy this week.

For deer season, my dad put me in for the 19a/19b youth buck hunt as my first choice, and the north rim youth doe hunt for my second. IT turns out, I got the doe hunt again. At first, I was kind of disappointed. But then I thought, well it will be tastier meat and at least I still get to hunt. Besides, I might get to hunt with my bow, since I’m pulling back 37 pounds. Dad says I need to be pulling 40 pounds for deer. The minimum legal poundage in Arizona is 30, but dad wants me to be as ethical as possible. I have until the end of August to get to 40 pounds so I can practice all through September. My deer hunt starts October 9th and we may go up two days early to try to fill my youth turkey tag. Mom still has to agree, though!

I also got drawn for a javelina tag for 19a/19b, so I can still go down there, even if its not for a deer hunt. Dad is going to let me use my bow, even at 37 pounds. But he says I can use my rifle if I want to. He has two friends who know both units well, so I'm pretty excited for my opportunities. This hunt is the weekend before my deer hunt, so its going to be a very busy October!

School starts next week for me. I am going to Sinagua Middle School for 6th grade. At first I was really nervous, but now I’m really excited. There is an oceanography club where you get to study fish and build underwater robots. Then, towards the end of the school year you get to go on a trip to the ocean in California.

I am also trying different sports other than soccer. I decided to sign up for volleyball and basketball. Even though I know nothing about how to play volleyball, I am pretty good at basketball. I"m very excited to start my new school and take that next step!

Last edited:
Congratulations on the draws. Make every moment count whatever it is - family, hunting, sports, school etc... Nice write up - keep them coming.

Its Sydney again, logged in through dad. Sorry its taken me so long to get this update, but soccer camp and separate keeper training has kept me busy this week.

For deer season, my dad put me in for the 19a/19b youth buck hunt as my first choice, and the north rim youth doe hunt for my second. IT turns out; I got the doe hunt again. At first, I was kind of disappointed. But then I thought, well it will be tastier meat and at least I still get to hunt. Besides, I might get to hunt with my bow, since I’m pulling back 37 pounds. Dad says I need to be pulling 40 pounds for deer. The minimum legal poundage in Arizona is 30, but dad wants me to be as ethical as possible. I have until the end of august to get to 40 pounds so I can practice all through September. My deer hunt starts October 9th and we may go up two days early to try to fill my youth turkey tag. Mom still has to agree, though!

I also got drawn for a javelina tag for 19a/19b, so I can still go down there; even if its not for a deer hunt. Dad is going to let me use my bow, even at 37 pounds. But he says I may use my rifle if I want to. He has two friends who know both units well, so I'm pretty excited for my opportunities. This hunt is the weekend before my deer hunt, so its going to be a very busy October!

School starts next week for me. I am going to Sinagua Middle School for 6th grade. At first I was really nervous, but now I’m really excited. There is an oceanography club where you got to study fish and build underwater robots. Then, towards the end of the school year you get to go on a trip to the ocean in California.

I am also trying different sports other than soccer. I decided to sign up for volleyball and basketball. Even though I know nothing about how to play volleyball, I am pretty good at basketball. I"m very excited to start my new school and take that next step!

Really cool! You seem to have a really good dad, and don't take that for granted (even when you think he isn't being fair). Best of luck this year and for a 6th grader, you are very well spoken.

my big desicion

This is Sydney again logged in through dads account. I just needed some opinions from you guys for a big decision that I have to make. So this will be a short entry.

The other day, my parents got an email that this soccer season I could try out for the ODP. (Olympic Development Program.) I was so excited to try out. Then I found out that it was the same weekend I was going to El Paso. The hard part is, its my grandmas birthday. She is turning 89, and if I don't go I might not be able to see her again. I called some of my family members and they said that I should follow my dream and go to tryouts. They said I could still visit her before she goes. The thing is, i still need some advice. because if stay and she dies before I can see her i'm afraid I will regret my choice. But if I go and don't follow my dream I will regret that my whole life. What should I do?:confused:

It is a very hard decision and one that only you can truly make. I would have to imagine that your grandma would want you to follow your dream while this amazing opportunity presents itself. Ia there any way to get your grandmother's input or have your parents tell her about the predicament and see how she reacts?

Follow your heart. IMHO family and friends are what life is all about. See if you can go to another ODP tryout. Most likely there is only one in your area, but I think you can go to another ODP tryout in another area. Best of luck in making your decision and once you make it, stick with it and don't worry about it again.

I've been in your shoes, Sydney, with a very similar situating when I was just a little older than you.

Sounds like you've worked really, really hard for this opportunity! I'd hate to see you pass it up over something circumstantial (that you cannot control). Life often poses these difficult decisions and they're never easy when we assume that the worst possible outcome will happen. I think the fact that you're having a hard time deciding shows not only your character but is maybe even a better expression of your love for your Grandma than choosing to be in her presence. As in, I'm sure it means the world to her that you'd consider not attending a dream tryout just to make sure you got to be with her.

Sometimes we have to live our lives for ourselves and just because we do (sometimes) DOES NOT make us selfish. Choose whichever option you'll be happiest with. Good luck.

Beaming With Pride

This is Brian on this entry. I was gone all last week at the last week of my 6-month long leadership development program. We got the email regarding ODP/YOP tryouts right before I left. All we could really tell Sydney that the choice was ultimately hers and we didn't feel it was our place to make this particular decision. I felt horrible getting on a plane and putting that on an 11-year old, but I couldn't bring myself to say "Here is what you are doing." I felt like I was deferring my job as a dad, but I also felt like I was doing my job as a dad by teaching her that this is real life. All I could tell her was that, no matter what the decision, it would be the right one and we'd support her 100%, no questions. We made sure she knew that she'd have to make a choice, stick with it, and be willing to live with whatever she gave up. I ran all of this by my leadership coaches and my learning team and it all came back to me making the right choice as a dad: let her decide and learn this is part of life, even at 11 years old. It will only make her stronger as a person and leader when she's older.

I had an idea that she was going to make her entry above as she asked me for my log in and password and told me what she was up to. All I could do was encourage her, knowing that you all would chime in as appropriate. I was sitting my class when I got a notification of a response to the journal. That's when I read her post and all I could do was smile with pride. I forget that she's "only" 11 years old. Thank you all for the encouragement and perspectives you offered her. She made her decision last night, but its not my place to reveal it. I told her she needs to update you all since she reached out to you all.

Archery deer season starts a week from this Friday. My elk hunt starts 4 weeks from this Friday. Excitement is running amok in our house!

Sydney, I've made a bunch of these choices in the past. Its a very touch decision and one that will mold you as an individual. My family always knew that sports were a very important part in my life and always encouraged me to follow my dreams. If you choose to do the soccer tryout, you can't be thinking about your family and if you made the right decision. You have to give it your all, because if you don't then not only will you look back at the decision and think did I make the right call.

Your family will respect your decision and will continue to support you no matter what. That is what family is for. They will support you through tough times and good times.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Just promise yourself that which ever decision is made that you go at it with max effort, a clear mind, and knowledge that your family loves you and supports you. Best of luck.

Awesome stuff out there! Get some mammoth whitetails there and be the perfect place. Really cool stuff.

Awesome stuff out there! Get some mammoth whitetails there and be the perfect place. Really cool stuff.

Come on down and hunt Coues whitetail with me sometime, Skip! Adult bucks may be smaller than an adult Iowa doe, but they are probably 100x harder to hunt because of where they typically live. And you can't drive right up and load one into the truck. That 80 lbs field dressed buck adds up after being 1-5 miles from your vehicle! They're mammoth in their own right! ;) Really, come on down. We'd have a blast!

Last edited:
Not much I can add for you Sydney on the choice that hasn't already been said- just know that what ever you decide- your family and friends are there for you 100% and with what ever choice you made, you need to be happy with that decision without second guessing yourself - These types of decisions and life events are what makes you......you..... and know we are all in your corner.

Goodluck Next weekend Brian- pretty jealous you are talking archery season starting for you- look forward to seeing harvest pics!!

Hey guys, this is Sydney again. I wanted to thank you for all your suggestions and help. I just wanted to say that I'm going to go to tryouts instead of El Paso. I talked to some of my other family members, and they said that I should go to YOP. They also said that I could come and see her anytime I want. I also can't wait to go to tryouts and I hope I make it in! My mom and my little brother are going to see my grandma while my dad and I stay home. I am so grateful for all of your ideas and suggestions!:)

Sydney - what a grown up thing to do and ask for advice, evaluate all of the information and make the decision that fits your situation. Good luck at the ODP tryouts!!!!! Keep us informed on how you do.

I'm betting that your Grandmother would want you to go to the tryouts! Do the best you can and make her proud. Best birthday present you could give her...

Good luck with the tryouts! The best thing about grandparents is that they are understanding!!

Does your mom or brother have FaceTime or Skype? If you can say hi to your grandma that way, then you could do both!

There are a lot of PPl on here that enjoy reading these posts even if they don't reply, and I'm sure they all enjoy reading about your guys western adventures!

Making me dream big... I want to do an out West trip when kids get out of diapers & this farm madness gets toned down with putting half my tillable into crp. You guys have the dream stuff out there, Canada & out west are 2 destinations for sure. We'll chat more :)
you and the fam have it great out there, well done!

Way to reach out to your family and others for their thoughts on your situation. I believe you made the right choice, your family will definitely understand why you made the decision that you did. Absolutely nothing wrong with following your heart/dreams! Looking forward to hearing how tryouts go and what happens in the wilderness out West!!!!

G'Luck Sydney.....you too Brian!

Top Bottom