Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015 rifle season?

^^ and I'll be partaking. Been working on the pigs lately ?

Friday night.

image-29.jpg

Call me crazy but late doe seasons confuse me. I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of these hunters are actually keeping their deer, as opposed to donating them.(I would love to know Hush's late season donation percentage) The reality is that gun hunters should have no issue taking a legal animal during your shotgun or ML seasons.

Now for the few areas that do have density issues it's a great thing. Did anyone think on limiting this late season to select counties as opposed to statewide?

In my experience the majority do keep their deer. One thing I have always done and I know several others who do so also is to not shoot does during archery season and then try and get my meat does in shotgun or late antlerless.

I imagine there will be a shift in harvest to a degree as hunters realize they better get their does earlier as there is no late season to fall back on.

...I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of these hunters are actually keeping their deer, as opposed to donating them.(I would love to know Hush's late season donation percentage)...

I know guys that were shooting 30-100+ per year per person and obviously no one is going to eat that many deer by themselves. The real heavy hitters that I know though had a fairly lengthy list of people that would like to get a free deer. They would travel down to southern Iowa, shoot 2-15+, and then head back home making phone calls on the way back arranging to drop them off at people's homes along the way or informing the donee that they should come by for their deer that night. These guys would repeat that process every 3 to 4 days throughout that season and they never ran out of places to give those deer away.

I know other groups that would shoot maybe 6-10 in a long weekend and then cut them all up themselves and eat them themselves all year long. These guys would maybe hunt one 2-3 day segment of the late season.

I am sure others donated them to HUSH too, but a lot of guys didn't either, they either ate them or gave them to someone that did.

We took full advantage of this season up until 2 years ago when we noticed that we had leveled things off.
I was inviting people to come shoot does. "Had to either have a spotting scope or a camera running to avoid buttons and shed bucks" but we killed a fairly large number of does on high density areas and we gave a few to people that can no longer get out and shoot their own or we processed them ourselves.
I have never donated a deer to hush and I have a hard time seeing a pile of deer outside of a locker that were killed nothing more than live target practice.
We were tought from a very young age to take no more than what you needed and leave nothing behind but your boot tracks...

Top Bottom