Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2016 Spring Black Bear

TheMadCatter

I decided to book a spring black bear hunt in Central Idaho this winter, I went with Ace Outfitters. I ended up a couple hours north of Boise and we headed out to Nez Perce National Forest which was beautiful after all the rain they've received.

The first day I met the guide in small town and we headed up the mountains, the drop off's were crazy! 500-1000ft drops, it was nerve racking. We got to camp which was a simple style, there were three other hunters in camp.

The first day was wet and I didn't bring my camera out and only saw one bear. A 6+ foot black with a big white patch, he was giant compared to the bear I ended up shooting.

Our guide set the baits an interesting way frying the grease with a small fire. Bear seemed to love it.

The bear I had come in I didn't get a shot because he came in quick and just grabbed a piece of bread and got out of there fast. The guide said this was because more than likely there was a bigger bear in the area than the one there! Even though it was rainy and pretty miserable one guy in camp shot a decent black bear.

This country was just beautiful!

The second day was little more interesting, I had a bear come in an poke around and run away. Still assumming there was going to be a bigger bear, I waited.

I fell asleep in the stand and when I woke up I saw a bear looking right at me about 80 yards away. He circled around me and the bait to about 10 yards and I drew back and he took off. He stood at 30 yards and I shot and hit a limb with my arrow. He went to 45 yards and was quartering away. I shot and drilled him. I called my guide and gave him about 20 minutes. We headed up and found my arrow soaked in blood, then it started raining. I swear we tracked for only 100 yards but my guide said it was more like 400. :rolleyes: Anyway, we found him and he ran up a tree and I shot him again PERFECT. He fell out of the tree and died on the spot! It was a blast, might have to go again next year :)

I'll post a video later but here's my bear.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Sweet deal TH. How hard are the tags to come by and what did it cost you for the guide? Looking into a bear hunt and wondering if it's comparable to Canada.

Love the harvest picture haha! Just don't put the cat right next to him TH!

Good shootin, and great story.

Not a bad price that's what it cost me to go to Canada last year in August almost rite around the 2200$ range plus tag and hunting license

Top Bottom