Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2021 bill

bjkpharmd

Thinking, thinking, thinking...
Why is it that anyone smart enough to get elected would think this is a good idea?
Why should ownership convey resident rights?
I think that resident rights and privledges belong to those that reside in the state, earn a living and pay state income tax.
Sorry if this offends anyone but I'd really like to hear why this is a good idea?

I'm with you pharmer, seems like political suicide to me. I guess this bill should prompt a lot of ph calls to our rep's!!

Perhaps they own land and are thinking that they might someday want to move out of state and still be able to hunt their own land?

Perhaps they are thinking more about the current land owner wanting his land value to go up rather than the future resident land owner not being able to afford it.

Perhaps they are looking at what some other states are already doing (Illinios for example and I think Missouri too).

There are some valid reasons for the thinking although I sure hope they look at the flip side of what it could bring us. I am a land owner, and I don't like the proposal one bit.

This bill will obviously increase land prices.

When will they consider that crop prices don't rise with land values. Increased property taxes and land purchase prices for our farming community. I can't see to many looking forward to that.

I like some of these proposals. I know many who visit this site are anti non resident hunters. I own land in SE Iowa and some of the current laws just don't make sense. For example, last year I applied for a non resident turkey tag just so I could hunt on my own land. I got denied. Apparently, I needed a pref point as there were not enough tags to go around. Keep in mind this rejection took place about 3-4 months before the actual turkey season. One would presume it was because there was a shortage of turkeys or other game manangement issue. However, this is not the case. In fact, during the middle of the turkey season, my Iowa neighbors can stroll into their local Wal-Mart and buy two tags over the counter. Gee, someone who owns land and has a place to hunt is willing to pay us $100 for a turkey tag, plus $90 small game lisc, but lets not take their money and just give out unlimited tags over the counter? That's right, there is nothing in the regulations from a game management view, to prevent every Iowan from going to Wal-Mart and buying two tags. There is no limit on the number of tags issued when it comes to residents, so it isn't based on a management theory. Deer hunting isn't that much different either. DNR wants the antlerless deer shot, but as a non resident I am only allowed one deer per year. I ask myself, if I can't even hunt my land, after paying $500 annual property taxes and farm income taxes, why would I let anyone else hunt? The DNR has gone to such extreme measures, allowing shed bucks to get slaughtered in late January during a rifle season, but I can't manange the does on my land right now because I drew a bow tag last fall? Doesn't make sense to me.

Can't really see this making it through. Why would they offer land owner tags to non-residents when you can get them to pay hundreds to buy the tags. Doubt many legislators will vote to decrease the states income potential when they are constantly looking to generate money anyway they can. You would think that someone would propose that a portion of the fee for a non-res tag would be non-refundable like certian tags in wyoming (not that I am for that).

Or just make it like Utah where a resident gets an elk tag every 11 years!

If you are a NR and want to manage the does on your land- there are many residents looking for a place to hunt. Maybe try that?

I just cant (hope) see this bill being passed.
River Bottom Boy touched on this, but do go further, I wonder what Farm Bureau's stance is on this. I would think that the majority of farmers would not want to see an increase in land prices that this would cause. I think this would also cause rented tillable ground to to go up. A non-resident land owner I would think for simplicity would enter their new ground in a govt program, then have to deal with renting it out every year. This would cause less rentable cropground available = higher rent price. Higher rent price = higher purchace price.

I could be wrong, I hope I am.

NR...I was told by a CO that there was leftover n.r. turkey tags last spring. I'll double check with him and see.

This whole thing would basically drive up the land values. That would increase the assessed value of the land and in turn increase the taxes on that land. That would increase the amount of money the state takes in which would allow the politicians to give themselves all another 20-30% raise.

Here is a list of the other benefits:
....give me a minute......
confused.gif
....Oh I think....almost had one.....well, never mind. I can't see any other ones for the resident hunters.

Once more land gets bought up by n.r.'s hoping to get landowner tags, we'll see the both the res. and n.r. that doesn't own land having an even harder time finding a place to hunt. I am not against n.r.'s hunting here. I am against anything that allows big money to have an advantage over the little guy, be him a res. or n.r., when it comes to hunting and enjoying the outdoors. This is all in my humble opinion of course.
grin.gif

I checked with the DNR, no leftovers in zone 4, SE Iowa. On top of that, they close the 2nd season to non-residents and you can't hunt Shimek or Stevens. I'm OK with not hunting public, wouldn't want to hunt with everyone else anyway, but wouldn't the overall pressure be decreased if the tags were spread out over 4 seasons, instead of 3?

I bet you don't want to hunt public. There are many, many residents who will have that as their only option once bills like this get passed.

I have never been able to understand why so many non residents want to buy ground in Iowa. Wouldnt it be much more convenient to buy ground close to home in their own state.Itd be much easier to take care of foodplots and police the ground for poachers. It may take a couple of years, but with a good qdm program they could have their very own monster bucks nice and close to home. And they would be able to hunt for a buck every year under whatever laws their state has in place. I just dont get it??

I don't know about others, but for me, it is because I was born and raised in Iowa, graduated from college in Iowa and have family in Iowa. Is that enough of a reason, besides the fact that I've hunted there my entire life and like big bucks? Gee, why is somebody from Florida going to want to buy land there if their passion is to hunt big bucks? Let's use some common sense here. Your argument about staying home is ridiculous. Kind of like why does a retiree need to move to Arizona, don't you know they have sunshine in Iowa too?

nonresident, All of your reasons are as good or better than most other nonresident landowners. Here's some reasons why nonresidents shouldn't own Iowa land reguardless of their ties to Iowa. 1. They don't live in Iowa. (obvious) 2. They don't pay Iowa state income taxes on revenues earned from their Iowa farm. So cash rent income, government payments ie. corn base payments, CRP payments, other subsidy payments ect. Income from leasing hunting rights if they choose. Rent from any buildings on the farm. They would pay the income taxes on that money in the state they reside. Thus they are not helping support our state. Therefore every time a nonresident purchases Iowa land, Iowa's government looses operating income which leads to higher taxes on every resident to make up the short falls. 3. They don't reside in Iowa so they are not shopping daily at local businesses helping Iowa's economy grow. They are not paying any local option sale's taxes to support our schools or other public projects. They are not puchasing gas and other fuel in Iowa on a regular basis so their not supporting our road maintainance thru gas taxes. I could go on and on but I'm sure all these things and more have been addressed previously. I too was born, raised and educated in Iowa. I chose to reside here to raise my family and help make the state of Iowa a better place. nonresident, just move back and build a house on your farm. Work in Iowa. Pay Iowa taxes. Help make Iowa a better place. Watch whitetails out your back door and all your problems will be solved. I'm against raising NR quotas and most definately against any nonresident landowner tags. If I had my way Iowa would cut the NR quota in half making it harder to draw. Raise the price to equal the highest price charged for an elk tag out west ($700-$1000). They would still sell out every year because there are more whitetail hunters by far when compared to the number of elk hunters in the country. If NR could not own Iowa land, leasing land for hunting was against the law in Iowa, and outfitting (charging people to hunt was against the law) then I would be for increasing the number of NR tags...obviously that wont happen. My position is if your a nonresident and you want to play in Iowa than were gonna make you pay! And you may not get to play every year...or every other year...or every third year...and if Iowa keeps getting promoted on outdoor shows...maybe every four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, or ten years. I ran into my represenative at the coffee shop on Sunday after church. He got to hear my position and that if he wants my vote in the future and the vote of any of the other hunter's in the district he better make sure this legislation never makes it to law. My senator is next. I will likely be writing letters to the editor in the local papers to make sure other hunters/residents in my area are aware of this legislation and that they too need to contact their senators and represenatives to voice opposition to this bill. I will be sure to include the legislator's name, phone number, email address, and mailing address to make it easy for those reading to contact them. All of the residents reading this should to do the same in your town or area papers. If the legistlature votes our way...well...you might as well sell that farm to a resident while the prices are high and buy something in your own state that you can hunt regularly.
grin.gif

While your are at it, tell everyone to contact their state reps and senators to raise the sales tax 1/8% and give the money to the DNR.

Ironwood would probably know, but the rumor I heard was that this bill is sponsored by the Iowa Realtors Association, and that they have a good sum of money to help get it pushed through. Just what I heard, but seems to make some sense, they might have the most to gain.

Top Bottom