Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

209 Primers

Willie

PMA Member
Has anyone tried the 209 primers that are specifically designed for muzzleloading?

I've always used Winchester 209 shotshell primers but bought some of these special primers to try this year. The Winchester's fire cleanly and never produced the amount of black soot that these new primers do. Ended up going back to the Winchesters and have had great results. The problem now is it was difficult to get all the residue cleaned from my encore and today when I headed out for an afternoon hunt the residue had "gummed" up the break away action of the gun to the point I couldn't break open the gun. Had to head back home and knock the pivot pin out and tear everything down and clean the grime. I never realized the amount of residue left behind that I didn't get cleaned
frown.gif
. Anyway, messed up my afternoon hunt and I hate taking my Encore pivot pin out - scared it may effect the overall accuracy of the gun at some point. Guess I'll throw away the "special" primers and stick with the standard 209er's.

What powder are you shooting?????

777 has been known to create a "crud ring" that some have attributed to too hot of a primer. The milder primers are marketed to minimize this. If you don't shoot 777, or if you aren't experiencing a crud ring, your are good to go.

I have no first hand experience with 777, just follow some mz forums. If you want more info, do a google search for "777 crud ring".

100 grains of 777 with Hornady SST in 300 grain. I know the new primers claim to reduce the crud ring but I believe I experienced the exact opposite. I think the less hot primer left more residue behind.

I tried the remington clean shot primers and I noticed a considerable decrease in the crud ring I had from the 777. I could get a few more shots out of it rather than when I was using regular 209 primers. Just my .02.

Top Bottom