Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

219" typical 16 point found dead....in iowa

I guess I can see both sides of the argument...I certainly have nothing against anyone that takes a skull home that they had no "foul dealings" with. However, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I live in Wisconsin where it is legal to possess any bucks skull once the scavangers have fed on the carcass. No need to call a CO or get a tag. So what's to stop a would be poacher from poping every good buck he sees and come collecting his pile of racks come spring time or a week later for that matter. Nothing really, it's all legit. Iowan's are fortunate to live and hunt in a top tier whitetail state that has this regulation set in place to help curb poaching, and I have a hard time seeing that as a bad thing. Laws and regulations tend to only affect the law abiding, stand up citizens which is a bummer but states need to regulate things of this sort so when a poacher (or someone with a bunch of untagged racks) is caught they have a case and can prosecute. Just my .02 $

Excellent Post!

All the DNR cares about is big racks. Plain and simple. Just like the whole farmers shooting deer with rifles deal. Not even going to get started with that one.

Sorry Aim'n.... Not true whatsoever....

tha4, you can honestly tell me, that the dnr doesn't only care about the big racks? then why don't they care about all the tiny deer that get poached just for fun, or all the little basket racks that get hit by cars? they only get involved if the rack gets attention and it is good size. so i think it is true in my opinion.

Again guys, how many people call in when they find the small fork horn dead, or spike...Noodles, do you call in whenever you find a small dead buck then? Thats why you never hear the DNR saying anything about "small" dead deer...people only call when its a big one...so everyone can think what they want about the DNR, but I commend them on taking the deer for foul play. Everything that thinks the DNR only cares about the big bucks, well I think everyone is at fault for not calling in all the little bucks, so thats your own faults, not the DNR. They just did there job with this deer, period.
And everyone says how if its a big buck and even if you hit it with your vehicle the DNR wont give it to you, well thats not true. I know someone who hit a deer that went 194 and change, and the DNR and sherriff looked at it, said congrats, gave the tag and went on there way. He also took the meat, which is what the salvage tag is about.
So before anyone goes accusing the DNR about only wanting big bucks, think about the last time you called the DNR about any little buck that you find dead. I think people that complain about that, only have themselves to complain about.
I also have to agree with JNR about finding a dead buck really does nothing for me. Its not mine, doesnt do much for me. I know to each there own, but I am more proud of a deer I shot and had to outsmart to get, than one that I could pick up that maybe a poacher shot.
Waddell Wannabe..Shed hunting is totally different, because you still have the chance for the deer, and there is no chance that it could have been involved in illegal activity. You want to pick up the dead heads you find, that is your own choice. But the law is the law. And someone stated that all antlers with a skull require a tag, which is true. I have every tag for every deer I have shot since 1998..
just my 2 cents, not trying to ruffle feathers or start anything.

I would agree with you guys on the "law is the law" concept. And yes, I understand that the law says that I need to tag any antlered skull. I would love to be able to do that, except that I can't get a legal tag for it. I think I maybe came off the wrong way. I agree with you guys (JNRBRONC, THA4, and FLUGGE) I just think it's a shame that if I find a 200 incher dead in the woods, regardless of his cause of death, it's a shame that I have to leave him lay. I just don't feel like it does the animal justice thats all. It's not like I would tell anyone I shot him or anything egotistic like that. I just think the deer shouldn't have to lie for eternity in a crick bottom.

Flugge,

I for one called the DNR two years ago on opening day of Pheasant season because at 8:00 AM I found a dead button buck with a small bore rifle hole through both shoulders and was still fresh. (Probably within an hour or so of being shot as no rigor mortis had set in) I told the officer that I had found a dead buck shot within a couple of hours and wanted to report it. He asked where I was at, I told him, he said he would be there shortly, then before he hung up he says how big a buck was it. I told him just a button buck, his resonse then was we are kind of busy since pheasant season opened today but I will get down there sometime today. I came back by the spot at least 3 times that day and was in the area the whole day and never once seen a CO officer. So that does tell me that size does matter to the DNR.

Gundog

Gundog, in that case, sounds like you need to report the officer for not coming to investigate, instead of thinking that its just about the big bucks. again, just my 2 cents, not wanting to ruffle feathers.

I think they should check out the dead deer for foul play. But what if it was a buck you shot bow/gun hunting that you lost sign or could not find then came across him shed hunting.It was shot so it would look like it was poached but you know it wasnt i guess you would be sol.Just something else to think about.

Flugge,

I for one called the DNR two years ago on opening day of Pheasant season because at 8:00 AM I found a dead button buck with a small bore rifle hole through both shoulders and was still fresh. (Probably within an hour or so of being shot as no rigor mortis had set in) I told the officer that I had found a dead buck shot within a couple of hours and wanted to report it. He asked where I was at, I told him, he said he would be there shortly, then before he hung up he says how big a buck was it. I told him just a button buck, his resonse then was we are kind of busy since pheasant season opened today but I will get down there sometime today. I came back by the spot at least 3 times that day and was in the area the whole day and never once seen a CO officer. So that does tell me that size does matter to the DNR.

Gundog

You know, i have been thinking and here is my thought. Perhaps the DNR "cares more" about the bigger deer cases because they carry a higher dollar value, and are more likely to catch. there are a couple different kind of poachers in my book. those that shoot everything and anything that they can, and those that poach big bucks. the poachers that shoot the big bucks only are more likely to "recover" that animal, when those that shoot whatever, i.e. button bucks and does generally dont bother picking them up as they are out just to shoot.

I genuinly feel 99% of the conseration officers WANT to prevent poaching. there is more of a chance of catching a big buck poacher as they ususally return to the "scene of the crime" to recover their "trophy"

Both kinds are equally bad for the resource, but one is easier to prevent than the other..... and there is more of a monetary value on a big rack.

Gundog, in the case you explained, I think the officer should have come out and checked it, but opener of pheasant is a super busy weekend for the DNR and if he didnt get out to it right away that doesnt necessarily mean lack of concern. He probably knew that "recovery" of that button buck was unlikely and getting out to it immediately was not necessary.

I have heard stories of big bucks being poached and left to lay, then officers hiding out in the ditch or fields in sleeping bags waiting the return of the poacher as most times they want the big rack....

bottom line i think is a bigger deer is most likely to be sought out and catching them red-handed is a higher probability. they probably spend more effort investigaiting those cases as there is more of a chance of solving the case....

just some thoughts....

Last edited:
I agree that big bucks are probably easier to solve since whoever shot it would eventually be coming back to collect. It is just the vibe I got from the officer when he asked how big the buck was and I told him. For me I now call the sherriff or a deputy and have them check it out and they can call the CO if they want.

WOW! The lack of respect for the DNR in this thread really caught me off guard. Those of you trashing them I have to ask; who do you think is responsible for the reputation Iowa has as a big buck state? Who manages our deer herd? Then before you bash them for how they respond think about who makes the laws they have to enforce? Do you think the rules would be different if the legislature said "Let's ask the DNR how this problem should be addressed?" I'm a pretty good friend of a retired CO & he took every single rack he confiscated & chopped them up & sent them in because although he was told they had to be sent in he was never told they had to be intact. They don't make the rules, only enforce them. Where they went from there wasn't his concern. ALso, it make sense to work harder on the big ones as the offender is much more likely to return. The poachers that simply shoot things to kill them will eventually be caught due to their own mistake; not because some officer stopped to look at a dead deer. Have a little faith that these officers know how to do their jobs & recognize that this profession has it's bad apples (Lazy or inefficient) as well as any other.
In closing I would say that in my experience for a found deer with no evidence of foul play the first option for salvage is to the owner of the land & the 2nd option is to the finder. I have a set of 150+ " rattling antlers that I obtained with this option after the DNR checked out the deer & it was determined to be road kill. By the way I think I will like the new changes. The site is much faster now & since Shovelbuck will be posting morel pics. soon I have to get back on here after a long layoff.
Maggs

Prosecuting Poachers

I actually just started my own business that is strictly about Prosecuting Poachers which is the name of my website. I sell NEW signs that are more agressive because poaching has gotten WAY out of hand. I've developed a sign that is a 20x24 signs and REFLECTS at night so is sure to be seen and keep poachers OFF my land. I live in Nebraska and the bucks I have on my property are bucks I want to STAY on my property and not be killed in the middle of the night. The problem is getting bigger but with these new signs hopefully we will be able to eliminate poaching from our land. Check out the website and signs... They're pretty cool.

Top Bottom