Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.223 Stevens Model 200

KSQ2

PMA Member
Anyone shoot a .223 cartridge much? I've heard good things about the Stevens 200 in this caliber, and I'm looking to buy a sorta high power rifle that I can shoot coyotes with (I have no desire to deer hunt with a rifle), but most importantly, I can shoot cheap. I can get wolf 55 grain, .223 cartridges right now in bulk from Cabelas for 28 cents a shot.

Watch out for some of the Wolf ammo. Some of the casings are steel and coated with something that can gum up your gun. I have had a couple of buddies have trouble with it in the past.

I shoot .223
The manufacturers of my gun won't cover any damage done by steel cased ammo. Love that .223 cartridge. You can taylor the load to whatever you like.

.223 is a classic yote round through everything from AR's to the old standby bolt actions. You can really open up your options if you pair it with a reloader.

.223 is close to the cheapest centerfire you can shoot.

Wolf ammo = JUNK Unless your shooting some kind of spraying automatic that you dont care one bit about.

.223ammo is easily found and in a bunch of different weights.

Looks into Black Hills ammo. I have alot of friends that shoot .223 and alot of them shoot Black Hills, including myself. Cheaper than the rest and shoots like the best. 52gr HP I think is $500 a case, which is 20 boxs of 50 for remanufactured stuff.

Thanks for the info fellas. So basically I want a brass casing then I'll be alright? What about one-time shot military brass casing loads?

Those will prly be okay. We reload some of our stuff up to 5 times. Just watch for split necks, they can be dangerous.

I believe once shot military brass is what Black Hills Ammo is. I've never had a problem with it.

Split necks is the most common problem with used brass. Usually doesnt happen first or second time unless something is wrong with the load.

Wolf has a laquer finish on the black box .223 but not the camo pattern box. I had problems with the laquer sticking in my Rock River Arms AR when it was hot outside and I was shooting alot. No problems when it is cool or not shooting enough to really heat up the gun.

At least my gun does shoot Wolf well- always under an inch off a bag and bench.

Top Bottom