Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

236" buck killed by Pleasantville taken by DNR?

All I know is I talked to a guy last night and showed me a pic of this buck and said the same thing that it was illegally taken. Is it true? Time will tell.

I work with the kids uncle. It was illegally taken. DNR came and took everything. He shot it before he bought his tag. Haven't heard fines or penalty s yet. Ill keep posted tho.

Lots and lots of cooks stirring the pot on this one!

The rest of you are just running someone down for the hell of it. Anyone site any sources? Or just heard through the grapevine. Boy, I hope a rumor about you doesn't get started, maybe we can all get on a chatroom and talk about it.

Maybe the person who wrote the ticket was also hunting the same deer. Nobody ever thinks about things like that. No, all law enforcement is flawless.

Maybe he hunts next door, and lives right down the road. Hmm, that might really make a guy think about the circumstances that are not part of your whitetail soap opera taking place here.

Anybody ever think that this supposed fellow who hunted 14 days straight was kind of pissed when someone else shot "his" deer. Make up a story to TIP to get an investigation going? Nah.

Any of you ever been threatened by iowa wildlife law enforcement? I mean really threatened. Like, give me your 110" rack or we will drag your name through the gutter publicly until we find something on you? I really doubt it boys. Come to think of it, 110" racks don't get much attention. And of course they are all harvested legally too.

99% of the information posted on this thread is fiction. Makes me sick to my stomach. "I work with his uncle" - No you don't, if you do, then what's his name? "Shot 3 days before season" - Nope, guaranteed wrong. "It was sick and couldn't run away"- Nope, that takes imagination, but you are dead wrong. "Keep you posted with all the penalties". Oh boy, we can't wait...

But hey, just let me know when one of you shoots a 236 next door to where the ranger hunts and we'll see how it turns out for you.

Good first post. Having not said a thing on this thread I'd love to hear the truth. Wanna fill us in on what really happened?

The rest of you are just running someone down for the hell of it. Anyone site any sources? Or just heard through the grapevine. Boy, I hope a rumor about you doesn't get started, maybe we can all get on a chatroom and talk about it.

Maybe the person who wrote the ticket was also hunting the same deer. Nobody ever thinks about things like that. No, all law enforcement is flawless.

Maybe he hunts next door, and lives right down the road. Hmm, that might really make a guy think about the circumstances that are not part of your whitetail soap opera taking place here.

Anybody ever think that this supposed fellow who hunted 14 days straight was kind of pissed when someone else shot "his" deer. Make up a story to TIP to get an investigation going? Nah.

Any of you ever been threatened by iowa wildlife law enforcement? I mean really threatened. Like, give me your 110" rack or we will drag your name through the gutter publicly until we find something on you? I really doubt it boys. Come to think of it, 110" racks don't get much attention. And of course they are all harvested legally too.

99% of the information posted on this thread is fiction. Makes me sick to my stomach. "I work with his uncle" - No you don't, if you do, then what's his name? "Shot 3 days before season" - Nope, guaranteed wrong. "It was sick and couldn't run away"- Nope, that takes imagination, but you are dead wrong. "Keep you posted with all the penalties". Oh boy, we can't wait...

But hey, just let me know when one of you shoots a 236 next door to where the ranger hunts and we'll see how it turns out for you.

First post, critical, if you have facts spell it out with names, otherwise, you are doing the same thing

Hilarious! Another conspiracy theory. Ya, those DNR officers are just as dirty as a Chicago cop. lol

I think somebody is a little clueless as to the facts. The guy already admitted to not having his tag. Honest oversight??, probably. I have found myself heading out for the first sit of the year and realize that I have yet to go buy the tag. It could happen.

I personally know a guy that was hunting this deer hard, he did something like 14 all day sits last season to get a chance at this deer. He put in all the work, spent all the money on food plots and such. He did everything the right way. And to have somebody take it illegally? Ya I have a problem with that

Whew, glad I am past that point of being so driven to take such a giant buck. I'll sleep better at night shooting mature bucks and does and not worry about someone poaching a big one.

Happened this year next to my farm off the road...its just a deer and the CO took that one buck...fresh out of the field since my buddies drug it off so the poachers could not get it while they were calling the CO.

For future reference...leave the kill lay, call the CO and he will come wait to catch them coming to nab that buck...lesson learned by my buddies on that one.

Sure is enjoyable to see what a whitetail can grow tho :way:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Ok. Thick and hunting you two are obviously joined at the hip. Like others have said you're behaving the very same way you accuse others of doing if you too do not have any facts about the DNR being dirty. Both of your posts allude to that fact. Back it up or don't post.

Last edited:
So can you clear the air and tell everybody what actually happened then? Thanks in advance. That is a heck of a deer.

thick said:
99% of the information posted on this thread is fiction. Makes me sick to my stomach. "I work with his uncle" - No you don't, if you do, then what's his name? "Shot 3 days before season" - Nope, guaranteed wrong. "It was sick and couldn't run away"- Nope, that takes imagination, but you are dead wrong. "Keep you posted with all the penalties".

Could you please site your sources for this information? Please and thanks.

Again, just tell the real story and that'll solve the problem. Since you obviously know what happened it would seem pretty simple...

Glad you took the time to set up an account to talk to a bunch people with nothing better to do. By the way welcome to the site :D and as far as being faceless, most of us are in our avatars, notice you don't have one :( so who's scared :moon:

Well that's an interesting introduction for two different people........ they probably can't comment and answer the questions that have been asked because they probably don't remember which sites they got on today, became a member of and slammed everyone about this story.

You guys make some good points. I reacted too quickly out of anger, almost like watching a bully picking on your friend.

There is some truth to many of the statements posted here, but not much.

It was a 25 yard pass thru shot. The animal showed up late as he was waiting for other deer to leave the field before climbing down. It would have been hard for anyone to just let it pass even though it was past legal light. Some may have done it differently. No lights were used, just a single arrow.

Someone tipped law enforcement, they investigated, wrote him a small fine ($195) and took the rack.

It is now known that the same officer hunts land owned by the neighbor. I will let you draw your own conclusion on that.

I am not a blogger, tweeter, or face booker. So this whole mess of misinformation set me off.

I personally know a Missouri state trooper who shot two bobcats illegally.... And has them mounted in his living room. It helps to know people when you want to get away with something I guess.
I know a ranger who lost his house to foreclosure. Isnt it illegal not to make your house payments. I always thought so.
The point is, they aren't perfect either. And I imagine there is more at stake than anybody ever realizes.

The deer wasn't maliciously poached and sold on the black market.

I still don't understand why this is called the information age when many are so motivated to lead you astray.

I am obviously close to the source. I didn't use 'I heard' in any part of this post.

Good luck to you, for I fear that may you ever mis-step, and be subject to your own judgement.

It helps to know people when you want to get away with something I guess. I know a ranger who lost his house to foreclosure. Isnt it illegal not to make your house payments. I always thought so.

No, not illegal, certainly not criminal at all. That is a civil agreement and in that agreement the loaning agency has the right to take the property that is not being paid for. Your effort to tell a story about a "bad cop" seems be just as invalid as those that were made about your buddy earlier in this thread. It just strikes a nerve when it is someone that you now personally, I understand.

I would have to hear more of the story in order to understand where the complaint is on the officer that wrote the ticket to your buddy. The deer was taken illegally, regardless if it was 5 minutes or 5 hours after dark so it appears that the ticket and possible confiscation are warranted. Are you suggesting that the buck is now hanging over that officer's fireplace? If that is the case, a complaint to his supervisor (or higher) would be a good idea.:way:

Top Bottom