Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

26" vs 28" Barrel For Waterfowl

Shoot2Kill

I recently won a Savage 223 Varminter Rifle at a RMEF banquet - hooyah, it only took like 2 dozen banquets to finally win a gun! :D

4125-25lv.jpg

It's a sweet gun, but the chances of me really using this gun are pretty slim so I'm going to either trade it or sell it outright.

I'm looking at the new Remington 870 Super Mag Turkey/Waterfowl combo. This gun comes with a 26" barrel and I've always hunted waterfowl with a 28" on my Winchester - what are your thoughts on the 26 vs 28 regarding pattern/distance/performance? For you waterfowl guys, does this matter very much for birds over decs? I think it might be nice for a couple things -quicker swing in the blind and less gun to tote pheasant hunting.

Here is the 870 I'm considering...has anyone seen this camo pattern in person on a gun? No gun shops in town where I live have one yet so I haven't seen it.

http://www.remington.com/products/f...l-870-express-super-mag-turkey-waterfowl.aspx

If anybody is interested in the 223 let me know.

Thanks!

Switched to a 26 for field goose hunting and like the way it swings and the shots are close range and it patterns well for the application. I still use the 28 for dekes in a boat for the comfort level more than anything.

Try to trade it for a Benelli Super Black Eagle II if you can they are frickin sweet guns, tough as nails and super easy to break down and swing like the old Belgium A5s...

Good info on the barrel, thx man. I've looked at those Eagles, unfortunately the price point is about triple what I can get for a trade on the 223. :)

I think that with the chokes that are available now you won't see a huge difference as far as patterns between the two. All my shotguns have 28 inch barrels, so I can't honestly compare the two as far as feel.

I prefer the 26 inch guns. Just like it better I guessbecause they are smaller. Crow hunting used to be my passion shooting them close and far away. I used to use either my 26, 28 or 30 inch barrel on my Dad's 1100. I honestly couldn't tell a difference once I got used to each gun. Any more when I am shed hunting I always carry my 20 guage youth model 870 with a 21 inch barrel. That one took a little getting used to but still does the job fine.

I have a 870 super mag in the 26inch barrel and it is turkey stomping machine.

Top Bottom