Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

270 Acres "Enough"????

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I own 2 pieces of land. Contemplating selling all to go west (closer to home) and buy a really big piece of "cheaper" ground OR buy a 130 acres next to my 140 for total of 270 acres which will have 165 acres of TIMBER. OF COURSE you can't keep every deer on it and neighbors will shoot some of the bucks I'd like to keep safe- OBVIOUSLY.
But, with you guys hunting ground around 270 acres of whatever- do you think BASICALLY you can make a big impact with that amount of ground at letting a "decent" amount of bucks safe each year, can you "manage" a piece that size for big bucks or do you think you need far more?
*I realize you can never own enough ground
**I will be planting extra Swithgrass, keep pressure very low and have food plots for year round food. I pass all 4 & 1/2's on MY LAND and shoot for 5 and above- don't care about score.
Skip
http://www.thedeerhunt.com

Bucks are pretty smart, but there is that one time of year where they venture out. A tract of ground like that will hold some deer though. As long as they have food, cover, water, and no pressure.

Get a couple neighbors involved and then you'll have something. I think anything you can do to make your place better no matter the size is great but bucks wander to much- I don't know the real number but I would guess closer to 1000 acres.

You are never going to keep all the bucks "safe" all the time even if you owned 1000 acres.

I don't believe the size of the property is as important as the habitat on your property.

The best thing you can do was suggested, get your neighbors involved and hopefully they can have similar goals.

Every property is different, but there are 40 acre pieces that are better hunting properties than 300 acre pieces because they offer the habitat bucks want and need.

Some mature bucks are here today, gone tomorrow, and back 3 years later...so all you can really do is provide the best habitat you can on your property.

Food, water, thermal cover, security cover, and food again!!!

I can't say enough about the value of Timber Stand Improvement...I'm sold!

I think if you can find something closer to home and have the same quality of hunting,then I would go for that.

I just looked at your web site after I posted...

It doesn't look like you need to seek any advice here... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Beautiful ground man! You have completed a ton of work! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Any ground You own is always good, start with great food plots, manage the Doe heard & keep your neighbors youre best friend, im not sure if the ground you own is near public , but sometimes that helps thinning the heard & pushing deer to your land which , if you are not going to hunt it to hard, but only during Rut , here & there, they may bed on your ground as a sanctuary. It sounds sweet to me, wish i were in your shoes to do so. Good luck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
happiness is a large Rack

If I keep it, I have pheasants forever coming this spring to burn the swithgrass, then I am going to plant some more switchgrass. I AGREE, my Timber Stand Improvement Job has worked wonders on it, deer numbers definately impacted as well as bucks bedding on land.
I am going to add more year round food plots, 40 MORE apple trees are ordered and I might create a couple more thick sections in the timber with a chain saw.
I think you guys are right on with above and all I can do is make my land as good as possible and work on the neighbors to try and see if we can work together (which almost all do already thankfully!). Food year round- varieties, low pressure, switchgrass, timber improvement, water, passing young bucks, etc... I guess will be my plan.

id be happy if i could afford to seed my lawn....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Land is sure expensive, I started with NOTHING 6 years ago except some college debt. Thankfully with hard work I have been able to save some and buy land. No wife and kids and that's big part. Thanks to NRCS office (and tax payers) for all the programs to make land better! It's sure not easy to buy land but whether it's 5 acres or 500 it's nice to make something better and appreciate the opportunity to own anything!

Sligh1,
If i can help you let me know, id love to see what you got . Trust yourself, your on the right track, read, & read somemore, its not going to fall into place in a yr or two, but after that, look out! happy hunting.
----------------------------------------------------------------- Happiness is a large rack

Size just helps as far as having more areas to hunt, but as far as holding deer, 10 to 40 acres will hold bucks year round with the right habitat. If they have everything they need, why move?

Why would you want to move out West when you have some of the best whitetail hunting right here? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If you do decide to move make sure you post the land on here so we can all drool over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bukket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">270 acres is a lot of ground.

Deer don't know property lines. </div></div>

Top Bottom