Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd morning sucess

iowabucks

Got me my first turkey of the year. 2nd morning out.

Our season opened yesterday and the turks like to roost on a certain ridge. As long as nobody messes with them they will be there. There is a picked cornfield on top and a creek bottom with a grass field down below. Sometimes when they fly down they stay up top, sometimes fly down to the bottom. Yesterday morning i picked the wrong one. I was waiting at the bottom and they flew down on top of the ridge. This morning, well before daylight, i was setup on top of the ridge watching the cornfield hoping they wouldn't fly to the bottom. I got lucky and 2 toms flew down about 60 yards out and strutted for about 5 minutes. The hens decided to stay roosted a little longer, which was good. When the toms got about 40 yards out i took the dominant looking bird. 25lbs. 6 oz., 10 1/2" beard, and 1 3/8" spurs. 3 or 4 year old bird i guess.

Even though it didn't work out yesterday it was still cool to have 5-6 toms (all gobbling) and 12 or so hens roosted withing 80 yards of me. I have found out that if you get there early enough, an hour or so before daylight, you can pretty much set up as close as you want to them without them seeing you. As long as you don't make too much noise. I was setup within 40 yards of the gobbler i took today.

One of these days i will get good enough with my bow and have to give that a try.

Picture074.jpg

Congratulations!!!... Great bird! ..... you got to try it with the bow... it is very addictive /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom