Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd place buck at the classic poached

why when someone shoots a nice deer everyone has to say something to try to run the hunters name in to the dirt! or discredit the kill? I smell JEALOUS!!

Not jealous at all, don't even know the guy. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about it. It will come out eventually. I apologize if I jumped the gun, mods feel free to delete.

I dont know guys. This is him year before pic above.

attachment.php

I got this in a Txt I think 2 or 3 yrs ago. Isn't this one of the Des Moines city bucks in Larry Zachs prints?

why when someone shoots a nice deer everyone has to say something to try to run the hunters name in to the dirt! or discredit the kill? I smell JEALOUS!!

No JEALOUS motive here. The fact is the DNR has the deer. People on here asked about it and I told what was going on. I hope it works out for him. 20 or so years ago a hunter from the Iowa City area shot a 250 inch nontypical at that time was the new state record. The DNR took the deer cause they thought it was a illegal deer. He took them to court and a jury found him innocent and told the DNR to return the deer to him. Sad thing if a person takes a large deer the mud slinging sadly goes with it

The reason why is this buck was allegedly shot on our farm without our permission. Something shady is going on. Just after the deer classic, the neighbor shoots me a facebook message and says Hey, did you guys give permission to one of the road crew workers who replaced the bridge at the farm. I said No, only family gets to hunt it.

This past fall the highway was closed as they replaced the bridge at the creek. Half our farm is one side of the creek, the other half is on the other side.

The neighbor was at the deer classic with the sheds from the 2nd buck picture I posted which is the same buck as the 1st one I posted when it was shot this year. He had an antler buyer trying to buy the sheds. He said no, I am not interested as the buck may be still alive and if i kill him, I want the sheds as well.

The antler guy said you know that buck is hanging on the wall right over there right. Neighbor goes over there and sure as heck, there it is but with Keokuk county on it. Now this isn't true as we are in the middle of Louisa county.

He confronted the guy and he said he shot it in Keokuk county. He then said look man, here are the sheds, here are trail cam pics. You did not kill it in Keokuk county. He then said he shot in Louisa county in about 3 different locations which were false. Neighbor was like come on man, I know where this buck lived, I know him well.

The guy eventually said he worked for the road crew and that he got permission from my family this fall to bowhunt our farm and he shot it during bow season on our farm. We did not give anyone permission to hunt.

That is really all I know. I do suspect he was trespassing wherever he shot it. Whether he shot it with a bow or gun, I really don't know. I would like to think he shot it with a bow and was just trespassing.

Hard to say what happened but the DNR is investigating it. I am sure we will never know. A buck of this caliber is very rare for that area.

Last edited:
Wow! Sorry to hear it was taken from your land! Your story lines up with what I heard that he shot it on his job site.

What a bunch of crap! Who does something like that then takes a deer of that caliber to the classic knowing that there is no way that deer is a secret? Wow!

Wow! Sorry to hear it was taken from your land! Your story lines up with what I heard that he shot it on his job site.

Yep, like i said, I am not sure what is true and what is BS. Right now he is claiming he shot it on our ground to the neighbor that confronted him that has control of the other side of the highway. I am not sure if his story will change or not on where he shot it but it has to be close to that area.

What a bunch of crap! Who does something like that then takes a deer of that caliber to the classic knowing that there is no way that deer is a secret? Wow!

I am betting this guy did not expect the guy who was hunting the deer, who had all the trail cam pics and sheds would be there. What is crazy is he would have gotten away with it if the antler buyer did not point out to the guy with the sheds the deer was dead. Talk about perfect timing.

In this area, if you kill a 150, EVERYONE knows about it. Nobody knew of this buck being dead. Heck, I didn't even know it existed however that is due to a much different story.

I am betting this guy did not expect the guy who was hunting the deer, who had all the trail cam pics and sheds would be there. What is crazy is he would have gotten away with it if the antler buyer did not point out to the guy with the sheds the deer was dead. Talk about perfect timing.

In this area, if you kill a 150, EVERYONE knows about it. Nobody knew of this buck being dead. Heck, I didn't even know it existed however that is due to a much different story.

That's nut. And I know how all that works, remember I'm hunting your old stomping areas of good old Boone County?!?! I had same situation happen too me couples years back on a giant that lived in Ledges. Had 3 years of pictures, neighbor had sheds, I missed him the year before he was killed, etc. Some pictures surface during gun season with a dude with no camo, no hunting equipment and at night. Gut feeling told me poached all the way just based off the camera history I had with the deer over the past month, he never left the farm during "legal" shooting light. Either way filled our CO in and nothing every came about from it, at least nothing else was told to me. Sometimes big deer just get the best of guys and they make p**s poor decisions. Honestly for me, i just move on and hope Karma catches up with those tools who feel the need to do stuff like this all for a stupid deer.

Crazy stuff! Hopefully the truth comes out, and if the guy is in the wrong, he gets busted BAD!

What else is kind of funny is he said he shot it on the south side of the creek. There are some good runs across the highway there however they took a big excavator and pretty much destroyed the ditch and left these giant dirt mounds. Naturally there was about a 20-30 yard strip that was left untouched. Basically it would have been the best man made deer funnel you ever saw. I wonder if he hunted over that.

Who knows, I don't like starting rumors but what all I mentioned above is what I know about the situation. You never know, maybe he didn't kill it on our farm. Hard to say but the last I heard that is what he was claiming. We were supposed to have a DNR agent call us to see if he had permission but that has not happened.

In 2012 the Jasper Co buck that was poached early in the morning pic was posted on Facebook 2 hours later he buys a tag, Busted.... Same thing happened in Marion Co the same year hunter didn't buy a tag for whatever reason shots a 230 in nontyp puts it on facebook, buys tag couple days later, Busted. I had one taken from my shop by the DNR for the same reasons Facebook. Point is many people are clueless. Its been a fun night but its time for bed

What else is kind of funny is he said he shot it on the south side of the creek. There are some good runs across the highway there however they took a big excavator and pretty much destroyed the ditch and left these giant dirt mounds. Naturally there was about a 20-30 yard strip that was left untouched. Basically it would have been the best man made deer funnel you ever saw. I wonder if he hunted over that.

Who knows, I don't like starting rumors but what all I mentioned above is what I know about the situation. You never know, maybe he didn't kill it on our farm. Hard to say but the last I heard that is what he was claiming. We were supposed to have a DNR agent call us to see if he had permission but that has not happened.

Thanks for sharing all of this. What a bummer. By the sounds of things, I think he is going to have a hard time keeping his "story" straight. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up fessing up the true story.

Crow must be in season. Seems like a few of you are wanting to eat some. No worries, I have tasted it before too. Leaves a bad taste.

Crow must be in season. Seems like a few of you are wanting to eat some. No worries, I have tasted it before too. Leaves a bad taste.

No worries I was pretty vague in my op. Story I heard was pretty dang rock solid, was surprised it wasn't all over this site already.

Ive heard more stories than i can even sit down and write. I think liv has hit the nail square on the head with a big hammer.
On a side note. Check your emails liv!

Top Bottom