Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd Season Success....

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
Well, I harvested a nice bird Saturday morning right after flydown. After roosting the birds the previous evening, I headed to the woods bright in early to set-up close. By 5:40 I was within 70 yards of a nice tom in a huge oak tree. At around 6:00 I let out a series of soft yelps, and two birds to my left, plus the bird in front of me gobbled back.

About 5 minutes later I heard them fly down, and as soon as they hit the ground the two to my left gobbled. I yelped back once again very softly, and again they gobbled. The two toms had closed the distance quick, and were now within 50 yards. Both of the toms came running in, and I picked out the larger one of the two, who was in full strut. When they reached about 20 yards I let out an alarm putt to get the big bird to come out of strut.

As soon as he raised his head I let my new 10-gauge Browning BPS do the rest, and dropped him in his tracks.

He weighed 24.5lbs, had an 10.5in beard and 1 3/16 inch spurs. After the shot I looked at my watch and it was only 6:12am. Although a very short hunt, it got my adrenaline flowing, and i'm looking forward to 4th season!

3590My_Tom_2006-med.jpg

3590My_2006_Tom-med.jpg

3590Big_Tom_06-med.jpg

Congrats on the bird.
Maybe they should have a contest on the earliest bird taken.
grin.gif

Good luck fourth season!!
Risto

Top Bottom