Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd season

iowachip

So what do you do, 2nd season is going to be here, and I have already a nice buck this year(With my land owners) and now I have my second season tag, and two doe land owners left. Saturday I could fill both my doe tags early and may chance out on missing a big buck, Or do you let the does go and chance that I will get a chance to get a big buck, and then fill my doe tags

I'm kind of in the same situation except I don't have my first buck yet. So I'm holding out and will shoot the does last thing so I don't miss the opportunity on "Mr. Big"
smirk.gif

I think ever year it gets more important to harvest more doe's. If you already have a good buck, I would take two doe's. But even if I didn't have a buck this year, I wouldn't wait until the last day to shot a doe!
Good hunting
jason

I've got a good buck ready for the taxidermist from bow season and have a similar situation...only for late muzzleloader. I've got 1 antlerless tag and an any sex tag and I can tell you the first thing to go down will be a fat doe if I get the chance. Of course, I have nearly 2 straight weeks to hunt during that time, so shooting a doe early leaves me plenty of time to chase antlers.
waytogo.gif
Good luck!!

NWBuck

I would shoot whatever walks by first, it's gun season, deer come and go. All I know is on the very last day, I don't want to mess around with a doe, I want to get down and serious and do everything I possibly can to be set up on a buck if I don't have one. Plus the season is 9 days long
smile.gif

During shotgun season there is going to be a lot of deer movement (unless you have exclusive access to a huge tract). I don't think shooting the does will hurt too much. This year there is a focus on reducing the herd. Waiting to the last minute to take does is running the risk of leaving tags unfilled, but that is every hunters call.

Do what you feel good with and enjoy. If hunting becomes a duty, what good is that?

Me, second season is the last any sex license I have. I'll trophy hunt this weekend,then next weekend will shoot a doe. That's my comfort level.

Shoot does right off the bat when you get the opportunity. They might not come the last day or weekend. I don't see how shooting does at your first opportunity will hinder your chance at mr big.

Top Bottom