Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd shotgun - any better?

Dude, how many bucks do you kill a year? You killed 2 during first gun, right?

If I'm not mistaken, the 2 during first shotgun were probably a combination of his own tag plus another's tag (party hunting rules). Now for second season he is still able to use his land owners (or land owners was used for his first season tag and now he has a second season tag). Is that about right TH?

If everyone wants to know where the bucks go take a look at Rich77's post. How many others do this? Second shotgun isn't over with single shot rifle season and late season doe rifle to go and everyone is worried about NR landowners getting one tag per year? Lol.

During shotgun season when I was in high school, Mom used to send a note to school saying that I was "needed at home"..... :D

More power to him, if he can get out of school. I did it too, I was just curious. I didn't know if he was pulling a Ferris Bueller. I can just picture the principal seeing his post on IW!!:D

Th shot one buck during bow season two separate times without a recovery.
He killed a buck during bow season.
Two bucks during first season.
Missed a buck during second season.
90 percent of us are lucky to get an opportunity at one big shooter a year, this kid must be on some killer land...

Or...as evidenced in his posts..he's shooting smaller deer..which is fine..but at some point, don't you say...hey..I'll let em grow, I've already killed a decent buck, maybe next year one of these will be a wallhanger?

Man did I skip a lot of school for hunting when I was in HS! Heck, skipped even more in college! :)
I honestly could shoot a whole lot of bucks without hurting my farms now but I'm still at 1 buck. (not knocking anyone). When I was younger I woulda shot more but now I guess i just don't care. heck, I'm still happy a year if I didn't get one. But, when I was younger I wasn't like that. Guess I'm just in a different place in my hunting journey and happy as a clam waiting for an old buck and don't mind one bit eating a tag. That's just ME though. Hope you all are enjoying your season though- it ain't an easy one, that's for sure!

Dad would always call in and tell the school I was sick with buck fever during shotgun season or if I wanted to hunt a rut day real bad. The principal couldn't really say anything because my grades were good and people who were failing missed school twice a week all year long.

I could care less how many deer he shoots.
Now if he was my neighbor then hopefully we could have a little chat about when enough becomes enough, the repercussions of taking younger bucks coupled with a sudden ehd outbreak and all of a sudden there isn't anything to shoot at.
I've said it before, as long as someone is happy with what they are shooting then more power to them. I know he is young and we all were once...

Gotcha rich I agree I have 2 vacant tags right now. It's just that its not like he blasting forkies or anything. I'm 16 and I have waited and waited for a nice buck with no shot

I could care less how many deer he shoots.
Now if he was my neighbor then hopefully we could have a little chat about when enough becomes enough, the repercussions of taking younger bucks coupled with a sudden ehd outbreak and all of a sudden there isn't anything to shoot at.
I've said it before, as long as someone is happy with what they are shooting then more power to them. I know he is young and we all were once...

Plus the 16 bucks they killed during 1st season last year. Makes me wonder how they have any bucks left.

I've bow hunted for 3 years ate tag soup for the first two years and finally got a nice mature buck this year. I passed over 20 bucks through out the time but I know I'm super picky about the deer I shoot. Plus I like to watch the young ones grow up on the trail cam.

I'm dual enrolled at the public schools here I'm just taking college classes and I don't have class until 9:51 and I was hunting in a different county than where I shot my other bucks and doe. My bow buck was on a property I don't hunt normally but the group I'm no longer hunting with hunts. I was complaining about how I was seeing few bucks and more does than usual on the one property but forgot to mention something about seeing more bucks than usual and less does on the other property where I saw these deer tonight. If anybody is interested in knowing my tags yet again for the 3rd year in a row...

Any-sex Reg Bow, Landowner Bow Doe, Landowner Any-sex 1 & 2, Landowner Doe 1 & 2, Regular 2nd Season Any-sex. This is also not limited to my Dads any-sex when present. I saw 5 bucks and 0 does on the my 700 acre place today.

Th shot one buck during bow season two separate times without a recovery.
He killed a buck during bow season.
Two bucks during first season.
Missed a buck during second season.
90 percent of us are lucky to get an opportunity at one big shooter a year, this kid must be on some killer land...

All 4,000 acres of it, I'm going to start bringing out my camera again and posting pictures of all the deer I see to prove to you guys they're not endangered where I'm at. Don't forget, I shot two does too. I'm making a journal for you guys so you remember this stuff and I don't have to explain it 10 times.

I'm dual enrolled at the public schools here I'm just taking college classes and I don't have class until 9:51 and I was hunting in a different county than where I shot my other bucks and doe. My bow buck was on a property I don't hunt normally but the group I'm no longer hunting with hunts. I was complaining about how I was seeing few bucks and more does than usual on the one property but forgot to mention something about seeing more bucks than usual and less does on the other property where I saw these deer tonight. If anybody is interested in knowing my tags yet again for the 3rd year in a row...

Any-sex Reg Bow, Landowner Bow Doe, Landowner Any-sex 1 & 2, Landowner Doe 1 & 2, Regular 2nd Season Any-sex. This is also not limited to my Dads any-sex when present. I saw 5 bucks and 0 does on the my 700 acre place today.

All 4,000 acres of it, I'm going to start bringing out my camera again and posting pictures of all the deer I see to prove to you guys they're not endangered where I'm at. Don't forget, I shot two does too. I'm making a journal for you guys so you remember this stuff and I don't have to explain it 10 times.

Biebs...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

When you grow up and become "late twenties hunter" you will have a little bit more perception.
I've never put you down for shooting so many deer, merely cleared up the fact that with youth, landowners, and group hunting a fella is allowed to shoot quite a few bucks under the right circumstances.

I fully agree that certain areas there are still high numbers of deer. I've spent over 150 hrs in a stand so far this year in 3 different counties. It's hit or miss. Just because you see a pile of deer doesn't mean that one section over isn't a deserted deer less habitat,

My grandpa always told me "only take what you need and leave nothing behind but your boot tracks"
The "need" is up to each person. If you need to kill 3-4-5 bucks then that is your personal decision.
Each 3 yr old buck you kill this year is one less 4 yr old buck next year and so on and so forth.
"And I'm not saying they are all 3 yr Olds because I've never looked at any pics I'm just giving an example"
Keep on keeping on, and good luck with the rest of your season, looking forward to the updates

Waiting for a decent buck...My 2 gun has been slower then dog snot!! Opener sat in stand on public seen one doe @ 7 am a guy and kid walked up on me, 2 hours later two other dudes walked up on me,( 6am in parking lot I talked to the 3 others trucks that were there letting know my general location 4 everyone's safety n findin out were they were huntin) hunted till noon heard 10 shots, Sunday morning I was busy, sun night didn't get out until after dolphins game witch was an awesome win!!! there was 6 different trucks on same public so I hauled butt to another public spot I seen 3 tree rats and doz honkers, took Monday and Tuesday off work smorning I fig I just walk around slowly and sit every so often, hopefully catch a buck on its feet, I seen 3 young doe,i went and got lunch drove two a buddy's Gmas 10 acres piece I've never hunted b4 that's split by highway sat in west side stand for hour and a half nothing, moved over to the east side sat for 3 hour in it didn't see a deer until I got half way out if the tree and two does come poke in up over the hill(if I wood of seen them 3 sec earlier and I Woodnt of got out) but what do ya do, hopefully tomorrows the day I get it done b4 I go back to working 3rd shift Neck I'd b happy just to c a buck big or small. Best of luck to fellow tag holders!!!!!!

Shot this saturday morning, 145 7/8 inch 11 point, (151 gross)
Other then him, saw 2 other nice bucks and 20+ does, all in our section, 3 does got shot from guys hunting around us.
picture.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom