Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3-D Targets McKenzie vs. Rinehart

shadowpeople

Our local bow club is having a meeting on Wednesday to discuss our target situation for replacements, etc... We are currently at a tipping point where about half or a little less are Rineharts, and the rest are McKenzie's. It would be nice to go to all one or the other, but there is a pretty significant price difference on them, especially the BIG targets.

I suspect many of you are in your local bow clubs, or attend a few 3-D shoots per year, what have your experiences been? Do any of you have any data about longevity, total costs, etc... for one over the other. Obviously Rineharts are more expensive, and I realize you usually get what you pay for. But, if they are 2x as expensive, are they lasting 2x as long? 3x? 1.5x? I would like some opinions from club members, or non club members that attend shoots. Is there really that much difference in arrow removals?

I see that McKenzie has come out with some new materials, like the EZ Flex. Has anyone tried these yet?

Thanks for any input!

From my experience they are worth the money. The nice thing about the rinehart is the replaceable cores. They are a lot less expensive to replace in the long run. Some of the higher end McKenzies have them as well. I personally feel the rinehart hold up a lot better as far the amount of arrows they can take and the overall condition of the target, paint, etc. The IBA went to mostly all rinehart targets for the fall festival and after 400+ shooters even some of the smaller targets still held up real well. Just my opinion. I know they are spendy.

My opinion is go with Mckenzie, I know first hand that their XT vitals are made of the same Polyurethane Foam material as Rinehart Targets. Only Difference is Rienhart makes the whole animal out of the Foam. Mckenzie uses a lesser Foam to make their Heads, Mid Sections, and Rears hence why they can sell them for cheaper than Rinehart.Mckenzie quality has gone up alot in the last few years since Delta bought them and moved the operation to Iowa.

Reinhart hands down are the better target! I go to A LOT of 3d shoots and the reinharts just seem to be a better target all around. Talking to a few of the club, Mckenzie will no long give a club discount where Reinhart does. The IBA fall festival are all reinharts now I believe. The ones I own last twice as long if not 3x.

I saw a post like this on archerytalk a week ago. Everyone agreed Rhinehart was the way to go. Some thought Mckenzie quality has gone downhill. One club worked out a deal with Rhinehart where they purchase factory 2nds that have small blemishes at about half the cost. Might be something to look at. I personally like Rhinehart better by far.

I saw a post like this on archerytalk a week ago. Everyone agreed Rhinehart was the way to go. Some thought Mckenzie quality has gone downhill. One club worked out a deal with Rhinehart where they purchase factory 2nds that have small blemishes at about half the cost. Might be something to look at. I personally like Rhinehart better by far.

I will have to check that out on archerytalk. So far, our experiences with the Rineharts have been really good, but they are pretty expensive. The replaceable inserts are great. I know I have heard McKenzie has stepped up their game, maybe we will get a couple brand new deer targets, one Rinehart and one McKenzie and set them up on the same station and see which one lasts the longest.

As much as I like to support an Iowa company, in all reality, the shooters at our 3D shoots don't really care where the targets are made. If it makes better business sense to purchase one brand vs. another, it's more money our bow club can put into getting more genesis bows & targets for our kids programs, etc... Proliferating the sport of archery I feel is more important than anything as we have a pretty large kids 4H program, and it's really growing.

Its been my experience that when you advertise all rinehart targets. It really makes a difference on how many people show up.

Its been my experience that when you advertise all rinehart targets. It really makes a difference on how many people show up.
And that is the long and the short of it. All I can say is that I wish McKenzie made a target as good as a Rinehart. Much rather deal with them being from Iowa and all. But IMO, Rinehart is twice the target.

Top Bottom