Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3" or 3 1/2 ''

buck160

To all you turkey hunters and waterfowlers, what do you think is the best load? 3 or 3 1/2? I am debating on using the 3 1/2" 870 or the Franchi I12 3".

Re: 3" or 3 1/2 ''

Have always hunted geese and turkeys with 3 inch shells.
Anything you think you need a 3.5 inch for, you can kill with 3 inch. I actually have several turkey hunting buddies that tote 3.5 inch chambered shotguns, but shoot 3 inch shells after they found out they patterned much better.
Go with high velocity rounds for turkeys and you won't be sorry.

I always shoot 3 inch as well for turkeys. For some reason or another I prefer the 3 1/2 for field hunting geese and ducks. I guess I like spending the extra money /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif .

Don't gun hunt turkeys much anymore, but when I did I used 3.5 inch shells. They patterend great, but I did a lot of research and range time. Now that I'm older, I would probably use the 3 inch due to the damn recoil. Them sumbitches kick like a mule. Getting too old for that. Still use 3.5 inch on geese though. Nice to have the extra insurance.

Well I'm an old fart and back in the day we shot them with 2 3/4" XX Winchester Copper Plated mags and never once lost a turkey. This was 25 plus years ago.
I use 3" now basically for geese/turkey because when I shoot 3 1/2" my gun doesn't eject them worth a darn. My bro still uses his Remington 1100 and 2 3/4" shells with no problems now.

I think you need to pattern both. My gun does not shoot 3.5 worth a crap, but it shoots 3 great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 inch is all i need.... </div></div>

Nope... gunna leave that alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 inch is all i need.... </div></div>

Nope... gunna leave that alone.

</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Originally Posted By: THA4

3 inch is all i need....

Nope... gunna leave that alone. </div></div>

In true Michael Scott, of Dunder-Mifflin fame, fashion... "That's what she said!" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

You guys leave Thomas alone! As long and him AND his wife are happy with 3 inches, then who are we to judge? You see Thomas, I'll stand up for ya! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

I'm still young enough to enjoy the mule kickin 3.5" Winchester Supreme #5's...nothing works better in my gun that I can afford.

Anyone ever heard of Nitro loads specifically the 4X5X7??? I've seen bad things through a Rhino .660...I'm telling you, bad things. They could call that setup the original guillotine.

It'll cost ya, have a look. Nitro loads

A 3" turkey load out of my 870 is more recoil than I want to deal with let alone a 3.5. For geese I'll use 3.5" since I use a gas operated semi-auto.

Top Bottom