Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3 to 4 years old ??????

kellyprymek

PMA Member
I find it funny how no matter what pics you put up on here the typical age answer you get hardly ever goes over the 4. I can put up a pic of a 7 year old deer and ask for age and get 20 answers of 3 to 4 years old. Why is this?

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I tink because people really just guess when they don't have the personal variables of sightings, pics etc.

Can you pick out a 7 or 4 year old deer just from one picture?

I don't think a deer body changes much between those ages to tell from just one picture. Now to know the deer and be able to see it walk and move around might help guess ages after 4.

After four their bodies really don't change much, unless you have extensive trail cam photos to prove how old they are the safest answer is four which means mature. I have a couple deer that are both six years old that look like three year olds in the summer while in velvet then after the velvet sheds they pack on the weight and change their looks.

Yes typically I can tell the difference. And yes there is a big difference between a 4 and 7 year old not so much in size but in posture. Skin starts to drop around the eyes And on the back of the neck. I don't expect everyone to know the difference but how must of you guys talk I would expect a good size group of you to know the difference.

Yes typically I can tell the difference. And yes there is a big difference between a 4 and 7 year old not so much in size but in posture. Skin starts to drop around the eyes And on the back of the neck. I don't expect everyone to know the difference but how must of you guys talk I would expect a good size group of you to know the difference.

Maybe you can teach us

Deer are like people. there are big ones, small ones, fat ones,Skinny ones. I think the only way to gat an accurate age is to know them from year to year. It is easy to tell a real young one though.

I am sure some of you could take lesson. But you all already know so much. I learn everytime out from more experienced to less experienced. I have a open mind. I have had younger people who have very little experience teach me new things. And I can tell by how some of you took this post and went on the defense. That you already know more then I do. It was just a question.

Yes he was a 4.5 year old management buck off of a farm in southern Iowa last year he scored 139

kellyprymek said:
I am sure some of you could take lesson. But you all already know so much. I learn everytime out from more experienced to less experienced. I have a open mind. I have had younger people who have very little experience teach me new things. And I can tell by how some of you took this post and went on the defense. That you already know more then I do. It was just a question.

Someday I hope I'm as good as you...nobody is claiming they know more than you do... Sounds like you need to lay off the "defense"... These are opinions to your question...

i find it funny as well but most are proly right and as far as a bucks body dont change much look at this guy. wish i had a better side view of him from last year. i suppose he is only 4 1/2. had a better pic that I'm 99.9% sure is him this year without the head, back end is shrunken up and his neck is way bigger. built sort of like a angus bull.
picture.php

What I find funny is that this age thing keeps going up. First don't shoot a buck till 3 then 4 then 5. What now 7, 8, 9, 12?

Most don't grow much bigger after 4. So personally I don't feel the need to educate my self on judging deer past that, and I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

You wanted an opinion..... people gave it..... then you make fun of them. Post another question and ask for an opinion and nobody will answer you. Sounds fun huh?

Serious question. Stupid comment "maybe you can teach us" which is not a opinion. Then I explained what I thought of that comment. Or statement.

Top Bottom