Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.308 AR ?'s - What to get? Beginner!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys, need some major advice.... I'm not a gun-nut or know a lot about guns at all. Been talking to the wife since the horrible stuff happened in CT, sad of course, how tragic & that person is a sick individual. "Never let a good tragedy go to waste" says the Dem leaders in the past, & they sure won't.... I'm not a "paranoid" or freaked out type with stuff BUT... Hand writing is on the wall since this, last Nov's election, etc. & yep, even though not a "gun nut" or "paranoid" - it's time to get a couple guns before these clowns in congress, these genius POLITICIANS take some huge leaps at taking away our 2nd amendment rights, trampling on the LAW-ABIDING GUY'S RIGHT to protect, own the guns that are available now and get it before the "know everything" politicians save us "dumb folks" from ourselves (meanwhile the criminals making no changes)....

SO- I've decided on a semi-auto AR type rifle. I don't know SQUAT though. Basically, you tell me what you'd get. Here's my goals, why I'm going with .308 over a .223, etc, etc.....

- I am combining: hunting weapon (some big game) with defense, right to own something "high capacity" if crap ever hit the fan with national defense, target shooting, versatility, reliability, etc.....

- Can I buy a "standard" type gun where all sorts of parts are available, after-market, customized, interchangeable, etc??? I start researching AR's & I see all sorts of different companies making: triggers, tops, bottoms, barrels, clips, etc.

- At the end of the day, I want a semi-auto, AR, with .308 & 20 round magazine, shooting around 150 grain bullets & carrying a sweet scope. The longer barrel, bull barrel or whatever. Accuracy & hunting & longer range is important.

I'm totally taking a RANDOM example BUT here's an "Armalite, AR-10, .308 with 20 round clip. No idea if any good or what I want or can have scope, blah blah blah????
http://www.gunsamerica.com/90534074...REE_SHIPPING_END_OF_YEAR_LAYAWAY_AVAILABL.htm

-I want something less than $2,000 for sure. Sure would be nice to find something awesome for $1500. (THAT'S WITHOUT SCOPE, ETC- BASIC GUN).

Here's a new Remington for $1600 retail BUT we all know it'll be less than $1500 for sure....
http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-25/model-r-25-rifle.aspx

-Some of these, like Remington, say "compatible with DPMS clips", etc. Sounds interchangeable to me....
*Remington sounds like it's the same as a DPMS anyways & a couple others. DPMS a real good choice? Remington & DPMS are interchangeable stuff & I'm sure made by same folks.

DPMS LR-308... ($1,199 RETAIL)
http://dpmsinc.com/308-WIN-762-NATO-20-24_ep_195-1.html

-NEED RELIABLE! I want a quality gun company, something that is not going to give me trouble. SOLID! I'll pay more for better, that's for sure!!!

High capacity, variety of rounds, lot of power, versatile, very good for defense, etc is again what I'm looking for & want to do this sooner than later, before the folks some of you elected will be telling me what I am allowed to do for my family, my self, my rights & God forbid- if this nation ever had a conflict like we've seen countless times in the last 100 years. & I promise you, I'm not paranoid, just very realistic & understanding of history, the times & how these Politicians work.

-Where do I buy this? Where's best prices? Awesome long range scopes, etc? What BRAND, MAKE & MODEL?

I'm a beginner here but gonna do this. Thanks a million!

Last edited:
Pricing one out right now!!! Thanks again guys, sent in info. & obviously you'd be preferential to that (1500) vs the DPMS (around 1100-1200)? I honestly don't care about price difference as long as you all would say one is better than other & I'm sure dealers will help out some VS retail price you see anywhere. I have an email out inquiring on RRA right now. THANKS!

I personally would steer away from DPMS. Go with the Rock River or Armalite. Both companies make a good rifle. I will probably be building a .308 AR here soon. It's easy to build them.

Definitely go with Rock River or Armalite over DMPS or Remington. The remington will not accept a lot fo things that a Rock River or Armalite will. One thing to remeber on 308 ARs is that the mags are different between manufactures. So whenever you purchase additonal mags, make sure they will work in whatever gun you end up purchasing. You will be happy you made this purchase.

Central Iowa, here are some 308 lowers.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=308+lower&PageSize=75

Definitely go with Rock River. You wont be disappointed. Night Force makes some really good scopes.

Last edited:
Rock River Arms was backorded on .308's 8 month when I ordered one a month ago - probably well over a year now.

The whole world of guns forever changed last Friday with the school shooting. Legislation banning High cap mags and such is inevitable. If you truly want a gun for sure, find something in stock you can lay your hands on soon.

Research the FHN FNAR 308 Light - rave reviews in accuracy exceeding the AR platforms and much cheaper - also currently available with 20 rd. mags (but probably not for long)

I have been waiting for one of my RRA .308 guns since late march. It has the bull barrel. I already had one and it shoots just as accurately as my bolt Rem 700. Less than 1 moa. It is a sweet gun.

... Legislation banning High cap mags and such is inevitable...

I do not wish to start an argument with you Boyd, you are deservedly well respected by many, including myself.

BUT...I would like to challenge a portion of the statement you made above. While I totally agree with you that there will be proposed legislation, etc, I think all of us should be very careful before we accept as fate that any legislation that restricts our rights will pass.

I believe we may well be just in front of a huge battle over our rights that will shape our nation for years to come and I urge everyone not to assume that this thing or that thing will necessarily be successfully taken away from us. "They" need to know that this is going to be a first class, major fight. In other words, don't give up or assume that this fight is lost.

Why steer away from a DPMS?

Just what I would do. I have never owned a DPMS but I've read plenty about how they are cheaply made. Most of these reviews are for their AR-15 products. I know that the .308 realm is very different and i've heard their 308 stuff is good...DPMS kind of pioneered it, but I feel like a company should be equally concerned about the quality all their products.

Just what I would do. I have never owned a DPMS but I've read plenty about how they are cheaply made. Most of these reviews are for their AR-15 products. I know that the .308 realm is very different and i've heard their 308 stuff is good...DPMS kind of pioneered it, but I feel like a company should be equally concerned about the quality all their products.

I feel exactly opposite about them, and having owned quite a few, I think they are great guns, and customer service is top notch. I am a huge DPMS fan in big bore calibers too. I haven't found anything about them that makes them feel as they are cheaper than a RRA or any other brand out on the market today. Now they do offer a bare bones Orical, and yes they are quite a bit cheaper, but you kind of get what you pay for.

Good to hear. Like I said, I've never used any of their parts besides a replacement safety selector. Maybe I'll try them in the future. If I can find any parts. Has anyone looked for AR stuff anywhere? Apparently I got on the bandwagon too late. Every shop is sold out of everything AR related. The few ARs left out there are being sold for 2x what they would have sold for 2 weeks ago. What is the world coming to?! Every web based vendor is sold out of parts, or they took them off the shelves.

I'm seeing alot of parts on gunbroker.com. There are some AR's on there too. You are correct, the price has shot up on everything here lately. I think everyone is seeing what is coming in the next few months.

On the other hand, try to find some .223 ammo right now. Talk about back ordered!

Top Bottom