Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4:30 am

JNRBRONC

I groaned when the cell phone alarm rang at 4:30 this morning, but forced myself to get out of bed and get going. It was only the second hunt of the season for me with an archery tag. I sat from 6 am to 7 pm Friday, April 22 and only saw a single hen.

Today, had the blind and decoys out at 5:45 am, could hear some gobbling off in the distance, nothing real close. Called at 7:15 and got a gobble back but he was a ways off. I yelped back, then took a nap.

Woke up at 8:35, yelped, had a gobble explode in the timber right behind the blind. Soft yelp, grabbed the bow, here he comes looking to kick some Pretty Boy butt. This season is the first time I've used the Pretty Boy, bought it used 5 years ago or so.

The tom was in strut, coming up behind Pretty Boy. When he got passed him, I launched the 125 grain Muzzy tipped FMJ, he crumpled on the hit. Autopsy showed I took out his hip, got a pass through. 10" beard, 7/8" spurs, decent bird.

Muddy, the wings are in the freezer for ya.

Last edited:
Nice looking set up, congrats on the kill too! The shadows were really working for you, that tom never had a chance of seeing you.

Congrats!! I wish I could sleep in to 4:30am to go turkey hunting. I'm looking at 3 am tomorrow morning. :)

Top Bottom