Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4 Seasons ?

Shovelbuck

I've been reading about your guys "4 Seasons" for years now and never have figured it out. Can somebody enlighten me?
Do you guys have 4 separate turkey seasons and you have to buy a tag for a specific season?:confused: How much time is between each season? I'm confused.
It's simple here.....buy up to three tags, they are good for bow or shotgun, bow season starts March 25th, shotgun April 17th, and they both end May 31.

Last edited:
Jay,

Here is how our turkey hunting is set up. I just copied the season info from the DNR.

Youth Season-April 9-11
Season 1- April 12-15
Season 2- April 16-20
Season 3- April 21-27
Season 4- April 28-May 16

You can purchase a bow tag and it allows you to hunt all 4 seasons, otherwise you have to pick one season 1, 2 or 3 to shotgun hunt, and your second tag is good during 4th season.

The only thing I would add to boneil's post is that your second (shotgun) tag HAS to be for 4th season and 4th season only.

I've been reading about your guys "4 Seasons" for years now and never have figured it out. Can somebody enlighten me?
Do you guys have 4 separate turkey seasons and you have to buy a tag for a specific season?:confused: How much time is between each season? I'm confused.
It's simple here.....buy up to three tags, they are good for bow or shotgun, bow season starts April 17, shotgun March 25th, and they both end May 31.

Dang - how nice would that be.

Ours here in MN is by lottery (in my zone, there are only 55 tags per season given out - thankfuly I'm in the military, it guarantees me a tag)....if you draw a tag (FOR ONE) the season is 5 days and you're done. 8 or 9 separate 5 day seasons to choose from. The average joe usually gets drawn every other year if they are lucky. If you're unsuccessful in the lottery if there are surplus tags left in your unit you can get one to hunt during one of the last two seasons. I understand it to a point since many areas where there are turkeys there are not a ton of them, there are more and more every year, but nothing like the #s in many parts of IA but it bites only having 5 days to go and being done so quickly if you fill your tag.

Having 3 tags and 9 weeks to go.....that would be awesome.

Jay,

Here is how our turkey hunting is set up. I just copied the season info from the DNR.

Youth Season-April 9-11
Season 1- April 12-15
Season 2- April 16-20
Season 3- April 21-27
Season 4- April 28-May 16

You can purchase a bow tag and it allows you to hunt all 4 seasons, otherwise you have to pick one season 1, 2 or 3 to shotgun hunt, and your second tag is good during 4th season.

Minor clarification...I am pretty sure you can get two gun tags for the same season, it just has to be the fourth season. In other words, you could choose to not hunt seasons 1, 2 and 3 and still get two gun tags, but both tags would be for the 4th season.

Just to confuse the issue.:D

Bow tags are good for all seasons, as someone mentioned. You can buy two bow only tags that are good all 4 seasons, or buy one bow only tag good for all seasons and then buy a "combo" fourth season tag which allows you to use the bow or shotgun.

Dang - how nice would that be.

Ours here in MN is by lottery (in my zone, there are only 55 tags per season given out - thankfuly I'm in the military, it guarantees me a tag)....if you draw a tag (FOR ONE) the season is 5 days and you're done. 8 or 9 separate 5 day seasons to choose from. The average joe usually gets drawn every other year if they are lucky. If you're unsuccessful in the lottery if there are surplus tags left in your unit you can get one to hunt during one of the last two seasons. I understand it to a point since many areas where there are turkeys there are not a ton of them, there are more and more every year, but nothing like the #s in many parts of IA but it bites only having 5 days to go and being done so quickly if you fill your tag.

Having 3 tags and 9 weeks to go.....that would be awesome.

I'm with Shoot2Kill on this one. About the time I left Iowa is when they went to the 2 tags available. After getting back into turkey country in AZ, I was dumbfounded that it was lottery. It took me 3 years to figure out the lottery system (including the weird 2-season structure) to get drawn then another few years to figure out how Merriam's worked and how to hunt public land to avoid other hunters. I've dearly missed Iowa turkey hunting since I left. Now, I've been racking up bonus points intentionally so I can keep trying to get drawn for the coveted Gould's tag down in SE Arizona! When I'm not drawn, at least I can trek down to TX for a shot at a Rio or skip over to NM for 2 turkey tags (Merriam's) over-the-counter and their 3 week season. Of course, I could probably hunt AZ every year if I wasn't obsessed with getting that Gould's tag in the lottery!

It's simple here.....buy up to three tags, they are good for bow or shotgun, bow season starts April 17, shotgun March 25th, and they both end May 31.

Your gun season starts before you bow and last longer??? That doesnt seem fair for the bow hunters. Here you can get 2 tags either 2 archery tags which are good for all the seasons or you can also get one archery tag and one 4th season gun/bow combo. Or if you only want to gun hunt you can get 2 gun tags atleast one of those two has to be 4th season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelbuck
Do you guys have 4 separate turkey seasons and you have to buy a tag for a specific season? How much time is between each season? I'm confused.
Your gun season starts before you bow and last longer??? That doesnt seem fair for the bow hunters. Here you can get 2 tags either 2 archery tags which are good for all the seasons or you can also get one archery tag and one 4th season gun/bow combo. Or if you only want to gun hunt you can get 2 gun tags atleast one of those two has to be 4th season.

Joe,
He has it switched around, archery starts March 25th and gun started April 17th in Nebraska.

He has it switched around, archery starts March 25th and gun started April 17th in Nebraska.

Oops!:eek::eek::eek: Thanks Limb.
Regardless, thanks for the info guys. I've got it figured out now!:way: If I could just learn how to read a calender.:eek::D

Top Bottom