Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4 wheelers

luvtohunt

Just looking for some advice. Do any of you have any problems with 4 wheelers riding through your hunting area? I have this problem off and on, but Sunday night it was so frustrating, I was so pissed I actually thought about never hunting that area again. The landowner has told me to bury a hay rake with just the tines sticking up out of the ground, so the tines will poke holes in the tires. I don't want to do that for a number of reasons, but I was hoping somebody else might have a more reasonable solution. The landowner has never given anyone permission to ride on his property, but he does not live real close, so he can't catch them in the act.

Thanks for any info

Short of actually catching them I don't have any recommendations. I knew of this happening to a fellow hunter and he talked it over with the landowner who said to catch them and call the sheriff.

My friend caught them and called the sheriff. It ended up the quads were driven the kids of a family friend of the landowner so he didn't press charges. But they were warned to stay out.

I agree with you, setting a booby trap is dangerous game that can get you and the landowner into alot of trouble.

At best you have some pissed off quad owners who may dump a box of nails where you drive in to hunt.

My suggestion would be to try to find out who they are so that you can identify them if the landowner were to want to pursue trespassing charges. Talk to them and advise them that you are hunting the area and would appreciate that they stay out unless they have permission. If they don't and the landowner wants to pursue the matter you can act as a witness in court if needed by being able to identify them and there machines. The rake idea is not a good idea as you noted. If they were to be injured due to that idea, the landowner as well as yourself could be liable if someone gets hurt. If you decide to confront them and they are not very cooperative back off and let the local sheriff know and see if he can assist with the matter.

Nothing stops tresspassing faster than someone being caught and prosecuted. Word will spread quickly among the locals who will most likely decide to tresspass elsewhere where the consequences of being caught are not so severe.

I think getting them on camera would be good or sit out on the property with a cell phone ready to call law enforcement. One trip through wouldn"t be so bad, but all the time takes the fun out of hunting. Al

We were out bowhunting last week and while we were admiring another deer that one of your friends clients shot we could hear an AVT (our neightbors own) going and we thought that they were on their land. Well a little later our friends wife came back and told us that they had gotten something rare on video. Well we were thinking that it was a huge buck on our land, well she proved us wrong!! She had video of the neighbors riding the ATV on your ridge top with 4 people on the same ATV with a single shot shotgun strapped on the front!!!
flaming.gif
The shot gun was dangerous enough and against the law. Well then we saw the people comming up the gravel road that we were standing on, they saw up and did a quick u'ie. Well that set my trigger and my buddy and I (he's 16 and i'm 14) jumped in the truck and wen't halling butt down the road trying to catch up. They cut across our land halling butt back to their property when we finally catch up and drive 30 yards behind them in a big White Ford truck and they try to act like they don't see us. Well good old Tyce lays on the horn and they finally pull over and say that they were watching over our land and they didn't see any cars, so they thought it was o.k. They tried to tell me that they called the owners (my dad and his friend) about intruders...well that never happend and i know that for a fact.
wstupid.gif

We told them that if they are cought again riding on our property we will take the tape and our case to the DNR and local police.

We do know they have been riding on our property for sometime because there's tracks all over the place. And to make it worse we found one of their tree stands on our property, so we left a note and took the bottom of the ladderstand and put it infront of their door so they knew that we found their stand.

So if it happens again they'll be in some deep crap.

Sorry it went so long just was telling you about this experence that happend on Saturday the 9th.

Take Care to all and good luck!!!!!

deerslayer
rambo.gif

We've had similar problems on my uncle's land. 4-wheelers driving up the river then along the bank. We haven't had the privelege of catching anybody in the act yet, but we did find what looked to us like a young buck. Everything was there but the antlers and skull plate, and he had been shot recently. This is back in mid-January, and I have no idea how bad the problem really is. Sure gets your my boiling, though.
mad.gif

I'm having similar problems with coon hunters running dogs in the area. We hunt private ground of our own, and every year the coon hunters seem to run wild. I realize that dogs don't know the difference between peoples land but it's the idea that kills me. I know they are running deer out of our timbered area. What should one do about this? They don't have permission. but they always seem to go through our property, after others I won't say who allows them on their land. Sometimes I swear they do it just to move the deer out of the territory. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Top Bottom