Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.45 Colt for deer?

Was posed this question by someone recently, and didn't really have an answer. Anyone have experience using .45 Colt (long colt) on deer or have opinions on it's effectiveness? Any recommendations on specific loads (store bought and custom load) for it that would be best? I know a .44 mag or .357 Mag will/should do the trick, but not sure on this caliber/load. Thanks guys!

I would say anything under 75 yards the deer wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 41, 44 and 45lc. As long as you put a good shot on it, it will definitely kill it. If you can find the +p loads it would give you more down range power.

I carried my .44 Mag last Saturday because the stand I was hunting has deer go by at 10 yards. I had 6 at that range, but didn't want to punch my tag on any of them. At that distance, any of the DNR approved rounds should do the trick. Pistol to me is a short range weapon, I haven't spent the time practicing at long range.

I had my ML with me for longer shots.

It was listed in the "approved" pistol rounds copy/pasted from the Ia regs in this thread: http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49299&highlight=pistol
I carried my .44 Mag last Saturday because the stand I was hunting has deer go by at 10 yards. I had 6 at that range, but didn't want to punch my tag on any of them. At that distance, any of the DNR approved rounds should do the trick. Pistol to me is a short range weapon, I haven't spent the time practicing at long range.

I had my ML with me for longer shots.

Yep, saw that. I would agree that a shorter range would be expected, although I've known a .357 mag to take them at 100+ yards.

I would say anything under 75 yards the deer wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 41, 44 and 45lc. As long as you put a good shot on it, it will definitely kill it. If you can find the +p loads it would give you more down range power.

I don't believe the gun will handle the +p loads, so would be looking at standard loads. Bullet size I know shouldn't be an issue, but was more concerned with having enough velocity/energy/expansion, that type of stuff. Didn't know how it would compare to other calibers. Any type of bullet that might work the best?

I've done it with a .45 acp...
It all worked out well and the deer went down but it severely lacks in the so called "knock down power" category.
A .357 is a whole different animal and has the power to get through a deer out to 100+ yards.
I don't believe the .45 acp was ever designed to be a reliable deer killing round

I've used both the .45 1911 and my .357. I can tell you the .357 is a much better round. I shot This cow elk at 36 yards running and she dropped within 30 yards.... 240 grain .357

Attachments

• image-1313578657.jpg
    image-1313578657.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 125
Yeah my first handgun... Uberto .357 snub mode with compensator. Loud as hell and a nasty little piece of iron.

So I'm getting the feeling that the .45LC is not the weapon of choice. He has been thinking of getting a different caliber as well. If you were to pick from .44Mag or .357Mag, which would you choose?

So I'm getting the feeling that the .45LC is not the weapon of choice. He has been thinking of getting a different caliber as well. If you were to pick from .44Mag or .357Mag, which would you choose?
I really don't feel qualified to have a preference. I've owned a .357Mag and now a .44Mag, never shot a deer with either. I have never shot the .45 Colt. I'm sure it's a matter of putting the bullet where it needs to go.

Found this thread on a forum: .44Mag vs .45 Colt. From reading that, I'd put the .357Mag in third place.

Top Bottom