Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

45 or 50

Waukon1

I am looking to buy a muzzleloader for whitetails only. I have heard great things about the 45's range, but would I be loosing that much knockdown power if I chose that over a 50? Any advise or experience would be appreciated.

For the average person there is little or no difference between the 45 ot 50 cal. The main reason they talk about more range for the 45 is lighter bullets. The 45 shoots a 41 cal bullet of 145 to 195 grains with upto 150 gr of powder. The 50 cal uses 44 0r 45 cal bullets from 160 to 350 grains with 150 gr of powder. You can obtain about the same speeds from a 50 with light bullets. I like the Knight 200 grain red hot bullets with 110 to 120 gr of pyrodex. I think the 50 will give you much more flexability for different animals with different bullets and charges. Another thing to think about is some states require at least 50 cal for elk, bears, moose, or other game. Either cal will handle deer at proper ranges but the smaller 45 cal bullets lack a little on larger stuff. My Knight 50 cal has dropped 2 black bears in their tracks with heavy lead bullets, and killed lots of deer with lighter sabots.

I agree with the above two posts. A 50 cal is a more versatile ML. You have more options in loads and caliber bullets. You will also have more kinetic energy downrange delivering more shock when it hits. I also do not think you gain as much extra range with a 45 over a 50. I know some would argue with that statement but I am just speaking on personal experience with my ML and a friends 45 cal ML

I have a .50 and shoot .45 bullets (with the use of a sabot). Great groups, 1.5" high at 50, 1" low at 100, and 4" low at 150yds. Knocks 'em right on their can. I don't know anyone that shoots a .45.

For what it's worth
Pupster

Thanks for the replies. The people that I have been talking to say that if I am just going to hunt whitetails in Iowa that I can't go wrong either way.

A short few years ago I did'nt expect to hunt Mn and Canada for bear. Go with the .50.

It may be apples to oranges but... Of the "critters" I've seen popped with 40cal S&W's compared to .45ACP's the big bullet of the ACP did noticably better. So I'd not over look the option of packing a 350+ gr. bullet.

Top Bottom