Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.45 or .50

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Just curious what cal you guys are shooting and if you could do it again would you switch. what do you feel are the perks to what you have?

.50 cal. It's more versitale(sp). If you want to hunt elk out west some states like colorado require that you shoot at least a .50 cal.

When I bought a .45 I was after the flattest fastest shooting muzzleloader on the market. I hunt alot of ag ground where long shots are possible. Since I have only shot one deer over 150 and that was a doe. She died quickly with a well placed shot 220 yards. The reality is I rarley take a shot over 100 yards. My first load for the .45 was a 195 grain aero tip Powerbelt with 150 grains of pyrodex pellets. It shot 1 inch and under groups at 100 yards so never changed anything. My first large bodied buck with that load happened to be at the base of my tree when I shot him. The bullet entered the heart and fragmented. I busted into many little pieces and lost all of it's energy there. Yes the deer was dead but if that shot wasn't placed as well the outcome could of been diffrent. Not wanting to sacrafice the speed I played around with some diffrent bullets and have been very happy with the Powerbeltt 225 grain hollow points with 150 grains of pellets and my group went to a max of 1.75 inches. I drop most of the deer I shoot with that conmbo in their tracks and have had excellent bullet retention acrooss it's range. This year I switched to Tripple 7 pellets and my groups tightened up a bit. Many guys like a much heavier bullet for more energy. I like to focus on well placed shots and an accurate load. Would I switch if I had the choice? I might based on having one muzzleloader that could be used for larger game such as Elk and the .50 caliber acessories are stocked better. As far as performance I very happy with the .45. Here is an article that covers some of the diffrences.
.45 vs. .50

I opted for the .50 cal, mainly as it is the only caliber the Savage ML10II is offered in.

I really like the idea and reality of the ballistic performance of the .45. I doubt I'll ever hunt a state that requires a .50 caliber and if I do, I have one.

Currently, I've started looking at .45 caliber options. I'm looking at a custom SMI or a NULA. It will be awhile before I actually buy one since I'm happy with my current gun (and then there is that stupid $$$$ issue /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif ). If you haven't guessed, I'm pretty hooked on smokeless muzzle loading. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have always shot .50 cal. My dad tried a .45 cal a few years back. In all honesty, it would not out shoot my .50 cal. I hold consistant groups at 200 yards, and have killed 2 deer over 200. I will not be switching calibers anytime soon.

I had a .52, .50 and now have the .45. I think the .45 is the best shooting gun out there. I would even use it on Elk if it were leagal. You should see the hole it puts in the deer. The speed of the bullet gives it a lot more kinetic energy. I would never go back to a .50 for deer. If i wanted to go for elk i will just go buy .52. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

if you shoot it well and it kills deer, that is all that really matters...

however i shoot 50 cal because it is easier to find the stuff (Bullets, 777, cleaning supplies etc.) and it is cheaper because it is easier to find....

no probs either way if you ask me, matter of preference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">however i shoot 50 cal because it is easier to find the stuff (Bullets, 777, cleaning supplies etc.) and it is cheaper because it is easier to find....

</div></div>

This is true!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you shoot it well and it kills deer, that is all that really matters...

however i shoot 50 cal because it is easier to find the stuff (Bullets, 777, cleaning supplies etc.) and it is cheaper because it is easier to find....

no probs either way if you ask me, matter of preference </div></div>

Same here. You hit it on the head.

iv used a 62 cal and a 54 cal since i started shooting blackpowder 20 some odd years ago but about 9 years ago i bought a cva 50 cal and it works well.i hunted pronghorn last spring with a 45 thoug and hope 2 b getting a 45 soon

I jave 2 barrels for my main shooter. A .50 that I shoot in comp all summer and this year I built a .62, I did hunt deer with it this year, but I mainly built that for a board cutter and elk. But the big bore makes a big hole and offers a VERY quick clean kill. But I am a trad. shooter and only use roundball.

I like my 45 cal. 150 grains of triple 7 and 195 grain powerbelt does the trick. I love how flat it shoots, the only concern is rarely get a passthru with it, unless I am shooting long distance. It is a double edged sword for me, every deer I shoot with it dies, the trauma from the powerbelts is unreal especially when they literally blow up on impact, I have never seen such wicked nasty holes. Then again it seems like it would be better to have a pass thru. I know if I shot barnes or knight red hots they would blow right through every deer, but I guess don't fix what isnt broken.

Top Bottom